• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Problem

86xjfor8

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone I have been lurking around the forum awhile and now I could really use some advise. I have an 86 XJ that i put pro comp 4" lift coils on the front and 4" blocks on the rear. I drove it home after putting it all together in my friends garage and at 45 mph I hit a bump and the front end vibrated so bad I thought it was going to fall apart. My friend redrilled the bracket for the factory trac bar but that is all we moved I just got the rear shocks today there where none on the back when this happened and I have not alighned the front end yet. anyone have any idea what caused this and what I might look at to fix this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

86xjfor8 said:
Hi everyone I have been lurking around the forum awhile and now I could really use some advise. I have an 86 XJ that i put pro comp 4" lift coils on the front and 4" blocks on the rear. I drove it home after putting it all together in my friends garage and at 45 mph I hit a bump and the front end vibrated so bad I thought it was going to fall apart. My friend redrilled the bracket for the factory trac bar but that is all we moved I just got the rear shocks today there where none on the back when this happened and I have not alighned the front end yet. anyone have any idea what caused this and what I might look at to fix this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

do you have a picture of these blocks?-- that's not likely the problem, I just want to see what they look like.

as for the problem, search "DEATH WOBBLE" or "DW" and you will find many, many possibilities for the horrible front end shaking.

Search for DEATH WOBBLE. Thats what it is. there are many different solutions, you will find out. I would find someway to ditch the blocks too, but its your call. I had 2.5 inch lift blocks on mine. Sagged an inch in about a month before I replaced the whole springs.

Definately get an alignment. If you put new tires on make sure they're balanced. Redrilling the track bar is not the best way to go, and adjustable one would be ideal. Also a drop pitman arm would likely help you because it will correct the steering geometry. Try searching for bump steer also.

BCParker said:
do you have a picture of these blocks?-- that's not likely the problem, I just want to see what they look like.

as for the problem, search "DEATH WOBBLE" or "DW" and you will find many, many possibilities for the horrible front end shaking.
I will take a pic of them tomorrow the lift turned out good no axle wrap either

Back