• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Latest info on replacement 0331 head?

Shoeman

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah, I just joined the cracked head club. 86K on the original motor in my 2000 Classic. Damn. Anybody bought a new head for one lately and have a good experience? I see Clearwater sells on Ebay as Odessa possibly? Price is right. Any other suppliers that sell a good product? I see Titan too but there is some bad reviews of them here. Powertraxx? I can get a decent discount at Advance Auto but I see some questionable reviews of those heads too. I only wanna do this once.
It figures that I'd find the problem on the day I spent the money putting new tires on. Ouch.

I just put one in that I got from a guy in my local Jeep club. It originally came from Advanced Auto as far as I have been able to tell (stamped with "DD" where the original "0331" would be). Can't say as I have a huge warm fuzzy feeling about it as it looks very similar to my old 0331. Probably should have just scraped up the money to go with a Clearwater or something as I have seen a youtube video of a guy doing the swap and he compares the old vs. new heads and there is a very noticably difference in the thickness of the casting.

So, if what I've got isn't any better than the OEM, then I'll just be sure to not make the same mistake twice 78,000 miles from now. =(

Go with Clearwater. I've installed a few of them on 2000 and 2001 XJs. My buddy bought one from their ebay account (Odessa) and I installed it for him on his 2000. He is approaching 50k on it with no issues.

We have had our Clearwater/Odessa head on ours for about 4 years now iirc. I just recently had a couple conversations about this. I am going to be lazy and cut and paste my comments from there.

Here's one
Cracked between cylinders 3 and 4? It is a relatively common problem only in the 00-01 years with the 0331 head. Some go forever without issue and some overheat once and die.

Our motor was at almost 260,00mi when it ingested water. We pulled the plugs and turned it over to pump the water out and cleaned the intake. It ran fine for almost a year after that and one day it started knocking and the motor blew. When it was disassembled it was cracked right where the 0331 heads notoriously crack.

When you rebuild your motor you want the stronger redesigned TUPY 0331 head. It has the letters TUPY stamped into the redesigned, stronger casting between the 3rd and 4th cylinder. They came on 02 or 03 4.o I6 motors from Wj or Tj Jeeps.

We did a new Jasper short block and wanted a new head without searching for the TUPY that would be used or rebuilt. We went with the Odessa/Clearwater Cylinder heads redesigned 0331. It can be had on E-bay with or without core charge.

This is also the moment you decide if you will ever want a stroker. For me with 4.56 gears and no desire for tires larger than 33" I decided the extra power wasn't worth the possibility of sacrificed reliability and longevity.

Another option is to switch to the earlier 0630 head You can search Naxja and find a couple of ways that it has been done. It is supposed to flow better and needs the earlier exhaust manifold.

Or use this exhaust adapter plate
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=919384

You would also have to fab a little bracket for your coil rail.
I just went with the redesigned 0331 for simplicity.

Another one:
We got around 260k on ours and had no problems with the stock cooling. We ingested water in it one time, after pulling plugs and cranking it to pump out the water we cleaned the intake and ran it. The motor lasted us another year or so before it failed. I don't think we ever really overheated it but it did crack where they are prone to.

We have the Odessa/Clearwater redesigned 0331 on our new motor. We also keep it nice and cool with CSF HD 3row rad, Hood vents and Trans cooler/filter setup. It also has a cowl intake so we don't breathe in water again as well.

I hope something in there is useful lol. We haven't had any problems and I feel like we put some strain on it being that we have towed our trailer long distances and off road with our Xj.

A used TUPY 0331 should work great. If you are concerned have it inspected first.

If you want to spend money, edelbrock just released one.

We have had our Clearwater/Odessa head on ours for about 4 years now iirc. I just recently had a couple conversations about this. I am going to be lazy and cut and paste my comments from there.

I just went with the redesigned 0331 for simplicity.

We have the Odessa/Clearwater redesigned 0331 on our new motor. We also keep it nice and cool with CSF HD 3row rad, Hood vents and Trans cooler/filter setup. It also has a cowl intake so we don't breathe in water again as well.

I hope something in there is useful lol. We haven't had any problems and I feel like we put some strain on it being that we have towed our trailer long distances and off road with our Xj.
All good! I tend to agree with you on using an 0331 for simplicity. As close to stock engine-wise the better for me.

After a sleepless night worrying about the damn thing, I pulled the valve cover today to see what I could see. Lots of slime in the cover, but hardly any on the valvetrain and head surface and no visible water or coolant. I figure I've driven it maybe 20 miles since the oil change that caused the panic. So at least it's a slow leak.
A bunch of paper towels and some Lectra-motive showed a crack between 3 and 4 just as everybody says happens. I got nothing to lose at this point, so being the old race bike mechanic that I am..I put the JB weld to the crack. I figure if that at least slows the leak it'll buy me some driving time while I get a new head. We'll see. I'l put it back together in the morning and warm it up and eyeball it.

I probably put about 30k on my cracked head. Always lost coolant, probably smoked the lower end. I ended up just doing a rebuild with a 99 block and a TUPY head. I think you have time driving it as long as you pay attention to coolant levels.

The JB weld appears to be working. No coolant loss so far and it's been through multiple heat cycles and drives. Oil pressure is fine too, just below 30 at hot idle and 60 revved up and running. Best news is a new head from Odessa is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I just called my pal at Advance for new gaskets and studs and misc. parts. Here we go!

The new head just arrived. Definitely not a reman or Chrysler casting. Looks like 2014 is the mfg date, at least that's what's cast in the head. The number 0603 is cast right between 3 and 4, where the stock head has no casting marks at all. It's clean too.

Back