• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Laptop-based GPS

orchimaxi said:
Thats the sort of combo I'm looking for! The GPSMAP 60c is a bit pricey... we'll see if I can swing it. Any other options as far as a solid handheld that'll work with a laptop? The 60c might be rugged enough to be worth it...

The prices on the 60C should be dropping due to the newer 60Cx and 60CSx. If you think you'll ever need more memory or want more maps in the unit, I hihgly recommend going to the 60Cx as it uses an upgradeable memory card. The newer x series also has better reception and a bit faster processor. I picked up the 60CSx a few months ago for $330 after the $50 rebate. It is a bit small for driving navigation but works well enough and works great for geocaching. Don't forget to budget for buying a decent map set, although you can find some of the older Garmin maps out there on the web (specifically mapsource4 which doesn't require a code and has routing).

how is you hand held mounted ?

IH8RDS said:
I run Delorme Topo USA and Delorme Street Atlas on a laptop. USB GPS unit that came with it sits on the dash.

Laptop.JPG

I have a Bluetooth-based GPS (Fortuna) in my XJ. My primary interface to the GPS is my PocketPC and secondarily my laptop. The Bluetooth is very nice so that I don't have any plugging and unplugging to do when I enter and exit.

The software I primarily use for my PocketPC is Mapopolis. I have also used MS Streets and DeLorme's software. For my use I prefer Mapopolis.

I use MS Streets and DeLorme Streets & Topo on my laptop. I rarely bother to use my laptop seen as most of my around town travels are conveniently addressed by my PocketPC.

azdesertrhino said:
Excellent mapping software link below. I use USGS DRG maps. Panasonic Toughbook laptop and a liliput screen on the front dash. Magellan Sporttrak Pro GPS. Works for me.

http://oziexplorer.com

Dont think that link will do anyone but me any good as it is for Australia only and why the name is "ozie" explorer ;)

orchimaxi said:
Haha, strangely enough I am currently IN Australia. I've been here since July studying at James Cook University in Townsville. Unfortunately, my time here ends at the beginning of December! But that means I get to go home to my Jeep and get to work!

Must be getting warm and humid up there at the moment :)

Cheers
Steve

Well at 11 pm its 24*C, which is quite comfortable! But its been getting up to at least 30* during the day, which is QUITE warm in the sun! Wouldn't be that bad without the humidity. I suppose thats why they call it Tropical North Queensland though, huh? Its much cooler back in Pennsylvania - about 14*C at 8 am.

(24*= about 75*F, 30* = about 85*F, 14* = 55*F)

so those with GPSMAP 60c. You are able to hook this to a laptop and run gps programs off the laptop through this unit, then also use this unit by itself? If so does this unit track your movements when fourwheeling and save them some how?

I've found Maptech Terrian Navigator along with a usb attached gps the best for off road driving. Besides the great topo maps you can even dowload aerial photos which can come in handy when some of the trails don't show up on the topos.
www. maptech.com

jeepinjimxj said:
I've found Maptech Terrian Navigator along with a usb attached gps the best for off road driving. Besides the great topo maps you can even dowload aerial photos which can come in handy when some of the trails don't show up on the topos.
www. maptech.com

:scottm: Is my vision bad, or is that $300 per state?

Gojeep said:
Dont think that link will do anyone but me any good as it is for Australia only and why the name is "ozie" explorer ;)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. That's the link I was given when I first found and purchased oziexplorer. I just checked it and it's a good link.

I've been running oziexplorer here in Arizona for a couple of years and know several people using it here. It works great here in the states also.

azdesertrhino said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. That's the link I was given when I first found and purchased oziexplorer. I just checked it and it's a good link.

I've been running oziexplorer here in Arizona for a couple of years and know several people using it here. It works great here in the states also.

yup you are correct.
http://www.oziexplorer.com/
\- maps link (http://www.oziexplorer3.com/maps/maps.html)

Never knew that oziexplorer had expanded into the USA and other parts too! They will have to change name to make sense. ;)

I use a Garmin e-trax connected to the laptop running Expert GPS. Nice program, nicer price. It has three mapping options. Aerial photo, topo mapping, or if you have a map as a .jpg you can use it. It gets it aerial and topo maps from the internet. But once you down load a map it's on the computer so that you can use it without internet connection. It's got a free 30 day trial, and free lifetime upgrades.

DAryl

Last edited:
Back