• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

land Rover Discovery- NE 1 ever own one?

1) i never said that one was based off the other, but yes the engines are in the same "family":
http://www.answers.com/topic/jaguar-aj-v8-engine[/url]
2)i guess i should be more specific(sorry) the only diffrence between some of the base/midline motors in these vehicles was the displacement bore of the pistons-the mechanicals are the same, and a few had superchargers. no, not all the motors in this family are unreliable, just some of the combinations of this motor used in both vehicles are crappy.
sorry, don't have my password at this 'puter to the C.R. website, but this other stuff should do.
http://www.whatcar.com/RoadTest_Summary.asp?DL=0&RT=185070[/url]
http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/rover_advice1.asp
3) lastly, i know that their electrical is like everyone elses now i'm not sure exactly when they changed it around; but i was referring to the older land-rovers. they were largely considered extremely unreliable, even for british cars.

xuv-this said:
1) i never said that one was based off the other, but yes the engines are in the same "family":
http://www.answers.com/topic/jaguar-aj-v8-engine[/url]

Gonna have to disagree there on two fronts. Firstly:

xuv-this said:
one of jags most unreliable motors and the rover 4.0 v8 are the same thing,

Going by that quote, you're saying that the two are the same, as opposed to being in the same family. Secondly, by the logic you're using I could equate the air-cooled V8 in a Tatra 603 with a small-block Chevy because they're both in the same 'family', though it's a tenuous connection at best. About all they have in common is the number of cylinders, much like the Rover V8 and the Jaguar V8 that followed it nearly 40 years later.

2)i guess i should be more specific(sorry) the only diffrence between some of the base/midline motors in these vehicles was the displacement bore of the pistons-the mechanicals are the same, and a few had superchargers. no, not all the motors in this family are unreliable, just some of the combinations of this motor used in both vehicles are crappy.

You've pretty well lost me here... I'm not entirely certain as to what you're referring to.

3) lastly, i know that their electrical is like everyone elses now i'm not sure exactly when they changed it around; but i was referring to the older land-rovers. they were largely considered extremely unreliable, even for british cars.

To be honest, I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I know people locally that still run SI and SII Land-Rovers, and they're no more or less reliable than a same-era CJ.

Last edited:
"But at 6'2" the top of the steering wheel covers the top of the speedo, a minor inconvenience at interstate speeds. It also covers the "bright" headlight indicator - a major inconvenience for motorists coming towards you."

No tilt wheel???

I believe NE 1 = Anyone (Internet lingo...)

Cory

casm said:
To be honest, I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I know people locally that still run SI and SII Land-Rovers, and they're no more or less reliable than a same-era CJ.

the changover doesn't look too hard... i'm not very competent in the electrical dept, i however do know that the backwards flow is harder on their corresponding charging systems, ignition is not nearly as efficient(yes of course i know that older vehicles have inferior ignition systems, and this is in addition to that), and to hook up most conventional run-of-the-mill electrical can result in a fire because a lot of people don't know the diffrence. also, the rovers you are reverring to probably had this done. looks easy, too.
http://www.seriesrover.com/series_fun/dictionary.html

casm said:
Going by that quote, you're saying that the two are the same, as opposed to being in the same family. Secondly, by the logic you're using I could equate the air-cooled V8 in a Tatra 603 with a small-block Chevy because they're both in the same 'family', though it's a tenuous connection at best. About all they have in common is the number of cylinders, much like the Rover V8 and the Jaguar V8 that followed it nearly 40 years later.
ok. yes, i know that the aluminum ohv rover motors are not the same type of motor as the ohc jag motors. furthermore, i never stereoyped the v8 motor. i just did a search, and i was right and wrong. the displacement is 3.5, not 4.0, BUT some did have a jag motor check the link:
and one of the problems was using nikisil liners in the cylinders. also(not totally related, but during the search i saw quite a few rover stories by yuppie rover owners that claimed insanely untrue stories like: i drove 500 miles on a blown head gasket, and the engine wasn't ruined, jeeps always get stuck trying to follow me, etc.

xuv-this said:
ok. yes, i know that the aluminum ohv rover motors are not the same type of motor as the ohc jag motors. furthermore, i never stereoyped the v8 motor.

Okay, I guess I failed to understand what "one of jags most unreliable motors and the rover 4.0 v8 are the same thing" means. Clearly, my failure to comprehend the phrase 'the same thing' as *actually* meaning 'related only in the sense that both have been used in Range Rovers' has caused this thread to be drawn way past where it should've been, and I'll be sure to get my telepathy looked at so that it doesn't happen again.

i just did a search, and i was right and wrong. the displacement is 3.5, not 4.0, BUT some did have a jag motor check the link:

Yes, some later Range Rovers shared their engines with Jaguars. That V8 was developed by Ford as a modular unit designed to be used across *many* applications. I'm really not catching your point here, I have to admit.

also(not totally related, but during the search i saw quite a few rover stories by yuppie rover owners that claimed insanely untrue stories like: i drove 500 miles on a blown head gasket, and the engine wasn't ruined, jeeps always get stuck trying to follow me, etc.

And I can point to the similar stories from Jeep owners about [insert other 4x4 here]. Either way, it doesn't prove a thing - any 4x4 that's been poorly-maintained will die before its time, and a better-driven 4x4 will outperform a poorly-driven one. Neither one means anything in the grand scheme of things.

look, man. all i was trying to say was that it was a crappy motor, and make a point that rovers are overrated and often unreliable. no, i wasn't 100% correct on a couple of details. but i stand by my main point. and you have yours. i wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything.
QUOTE=casm].....this thread to be drawn way past where it should've been[/QUOTE]
i agree. i'll shut up now.

Well I guess I'll throw my $.02 in. We have, or should I say my wife has a 96 Disco w/ 4.0 v8. Outside appearance, looks nice, reality is @ lest w/ ours. Has extreamly buggy electrics, 4.0 V8 seems a gutless wonder. very heavy. Goes through windshields faster than it burns oil & it does burn oil :mad: . The windshield has been a rock magnet & has been replaced 4x's int the 2 1/2 years we have had it & is currently cracked again. I refuse to replace it again until it falls out or we get ticket. I'm not talking little stone crack, 1/2 the length of the windshield craked each time. Service or parts are $$$. I truely don't like it & if it was my choice I would get rid of it, but can't until it dies completely as it belongs to my wife & her family who bought it new, on what else "The looks of it" before we were married. Vehicle has not been abused, except verbally, though I would like to.
About the electronics no exageration, none needed. electric door loks work when they want to. Radio shorts oftern & needs security code to unlock. Driving along turn on headlights & motor dies travling @ 45mph +.

As you can tell I am not a fan. All this fun & it only has 67,000 original miles. I really hope that it was just a lemon, but I would never buy one even if I had the $$$ to lose. At this point I refues to put any more $$$ into it & told her when it dies, it's gone.

Rob

LandRovers got thier bad rep due to the early years. Up untill 1998 they all suffered ectrical problems. ALL LandRovers are gutless(well the BMW powered ones are not that bad). The absolute best years are 2003/4. These have all Bostch electronics, they are 4.6L BMW V8's and have a bulletproof automatic transmission (the ZF).

Those of you who say they are top heavy....you couldent be more wrong.

Our 2004 has been extreamly realiable. Tell you the truth, it has only been in the shop once due to bad sparkplug cables.

The first 2 years of Discos are the ones to really avoid, otherwise (obviously) there are plenty going around here of quite some age. I have heard that electrics are a bit buggy, but from what I can tell, Felix has got a right lemon.

The Mk2s are supposed to be good, but they've got a more sophisticated electronic 4WD, rather than the Mk1s, which had mechanically operated 4WD, and are more prone to getting stuck, or at least so a guy I know with one tells me. I'm surprised about the BMW business - BMW had Rover for a while, but I didn't know that Land Rover were still a subsidiary company. As far as I can tell, their operation has been entirely separate for many years, despite using the Rover V8 unit as their base engine (long abandoned by Longbridge). I may be wrong on this, so don't take my word for it.

I have heard that they've also been steadily improving, with the Mk3's and 4's being very capable vehicles indeed, especially those equipped with the TD5 and TD6 engines. I think as always, you pays your money adn takes your choice...

I haven't owned one but I've spent some decent seat time in 2 of them that 2 close friends owned. One was a 99 the other an 01 IIRC both spent more time in the shop then they will admit. My one friend owne dhis 99 for 6 months it spent its first 3 months save for a week in the shop, it came out, ran good for a while, then all when to hell again. Came out of the shop after its second long stint totaled a week later when some lady ran a stop sign and not t-boned but L-boned the front end. When it ran it was good on and off-road...On road nothing to rave about, off-road I didn't get much time with it them there so i can't say. Whatever you do good luck and happy trails.

Back