• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless entry

se-real

NAXJA Forum User
Who knows about keyless entry for xj's? I recently found out that my xj has the keyless entry option. I would LOVE to use this. But, here is my problem. The fob from the dealer is like $50 something and another $45 to program it!!!!! Theres no way im paying $100 for this! Anyone know how to program them? Also, will any fob work? I have seen the fob's on ebay that are listed for 99 00 01 02 03 04 jeep cherokee, grand cherokee, chrysler, etc. etc. Will these work?

First off, what year XJ?
The earlier systems actually used IR vs. RF. They have the little sensor on the headliner, and you have to point the remote directly at it.

I can't remember what year they went to the RF system, but if you have the IR, don't bother with it.

I'll check on the programming procedure for the RF system. I know you may need to have two ignition keys to enter it into programming mode.

However, you can get aftermarket keyless systems pretty cheap now, and most give extra outputs you could get creative with. I install DEI systems all the time, and in general the remotes have a greater range then any stock remote. BTW, DEI makes brands such as Viper and Python, just to name a couple. We sell Viper, and I very rarely have one come back bad. The nice thing is if you get an authorized dealer to install it, the main unit actually has a lifetime warranty! Replacement remotes are still pricey though.

However, you can get aftermarket keyless systems pretty cheap now, and most give extra outputs you could get creative with. I install DEI systems all the time, and in general the remotes have a greater range then any stock remote. BTW, DEI makes brands such as Viper and Python, just to name a couple. We sell Viper, and I very rarely have one come back bad. The nice thing is if you get an authorized dealer to install it, the main unit actually has a lifetime warranty! Replacement remotes are still pricey though.

That similar to what I did. I bought an alarm w/ keyless entry and installed it in just a few hours. Its been installed for about 6 years now and the only problem I have is the drivers rear door actuator has gone out but I don't think its related to the keyless entry, just worn out with age.

I bought 2 fobs on eBay for around $10 a piece and the dealer chared $45 to programm both of them. They even put new batteries in them for me. I thought it was a bargain compared to unlocking the doors with a key. There are a range of years that will work. Get the part number from the dealer, and do a search on eBay for that.

First off, what year XJ?
The earlier systems actually used IR vs. RF. They have the little sensor on the headliner, and you have to point the remote directly at it.

I can't remember what year they went to the RF system, but if you have the IR, don't bother with it.

is that what that thing is between the sun visors?

you say dont bother with it. i take it that they never work that well?

Mine is a 96, it originally had the keyless entry but the previous owner lost it. Anyone know what remotes will work for it, after i get them programmed? And is there any place besides a dealer to have the IR system programmed?

is that what that thing is between the sun visors?

you say dont bother with it. i take it that they never work that well?

Yeah, the little red bulb thing.
They lock and unlock your doors just fine, but you have to be in line of sight, and pretty close for it to work.

Not too sure about programming the IR system, most just replace it with an aftermarket RF unit.

The unlock rubber button fell off my remote...lol but it still works fine and I've had it for 6+ years with no problems...however, I would like to get either a new fob or a new rubber button lol

how do you find out if it's capable or not?

Your dome light. Push up and slide forward.

xj_rke.jpg

That circuit board is the RKE.

hmmm... that may be a problem... mine has a power sunroof and the dome light is integrated into that.

guess i'll just go with an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry. i was hoping i could just cheap out for the time being by using the left over stock remotes from my WJ (it had alarm/remote start so the aftermarket remotes went with it when i sold it).

hmmm... that may be a problem... mine has a power sunroof and the dome light is integrated into that.

guess i'll just go with an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry. i was hoping i could just cheap out for the time being by using the left over stock remotes from my WJ (it had alarm/remote start so the aftermarket remotes went with it when i sold it).

Well I wouldn't think the sun roof would mean you don't have it, it just may be somewhere else. My XJ came with EVERYTHING except the sun roof, I can't believe they would give you a sun roof or an RKE.

it is nice :)

it's been nice enough here the past couple days to actually drive with it open. it was so nice this morning i would have driven my TJ if i had time to take the windows out of it and put the top down.

Can you post a picture of what the factory sunroof looks like ? I've never seen what the switch looks like or the whole setup and i'm curious.

Can you post a picture of what the factory sunroof looks like ? I've never seen what the switch looks like or the whole setup and i'm curious.

I didn't know a sun roof was an option until I saw the Blue XJ that Tom Hanks drove in the movie "Cast Away".

+1 what he said...... Got a picture of the 96's fob???

I recently got on for the wife's 93. IIRC they use the same remote for 93-96. I got her's off ebay for about $35...but there is no programming. She found a write-up somewhere online which said all you have to do is hold the lock button near the sensor with the key in the switch and it will find the correct frequency and lock the doors. The only problem is it has a very short range.

93-96 only has two buttons (lock and unlock). The newer fobs have 3 buttons.

Back