• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just put on a 3inch lift and have some quick questions

SouSy

NAXJA Forum User
First off 97 xj 3 inch lift full leaves installed. I had some vibes after the I got done so I installed a inch TC drop. I still have a vibes on accel between 25mph and 40mph. Will I be ok to drive like this for a while until the hack and tap gets here and I get time to install it? Also will a front driveshaft work for me or not? I keep finding conflicting opinions on the search.

Second, is there a easy way to figure out how long I need to make my adjustable trac bar? (I.E. simply making the adjustable 3 inches longer than the stock one?)

Sorry if I missed my answers in the search, I think I ran into every problem I could of during this lift and i'm a little fried :eek:

worst article ever. It doesn't make sense at all.
I agree, it is also completely irreverent as the springs are already shimed. Thats not his fault though, I should of mentioned that in my first post.

So anyone know whats up with using the front shaft for the rear after the hack and tap? I hear mostly that it will work fine, but quite a few times i've heard it'll be too short. This is my mom's xj and unless she gives it too my brother soon it'll be a street queen.

it'll be fine to run it in the back.
and until you get the hack and tap make the pinion angle on the axle the exact same angle as the transfer case.
that'll make your vibes go away.
a sye shouldn't be necessary on a 3 inch lift...

it'll be fine to run it in the back.
and until you get the hack and tap make the pinion angle on the axle the exact same angle as the transfer case.
that'll make your vibes go away.
a sye shouldn't be necessary on a 3 inch lift...

I thought the 96+ np231 almost always needed a sye. Something about the change in the tcase tailshaft

Yea, that's what I've heard too. Anyways if you have an auto 231, than another auto 231 shaft will work for your rear shaft.

I thought the rear pinion was supposed to be aimed at the t-case output shaft ? Now it has to be level with the t-case ?

Yea, that's what I've heard too. Anyways if you have an auto 231, than another auto 231 shaft will work for your rear shaft.

I thought the rear pinion was supposed to be aimed at the t-case output shaft ? Now it has to be level with the t-case ?

The pinion level with the t-case would make a hell of a vibration. He ment that the angle of the u joint at the pinion should be the same as the angle at the tcase

I didn't recall the difference after 96.
and if you're running the stock slip yoke and driveshaft then you want the pinion angle to be the same as the transfer case.
if you're running a sye then you want the pinion pointing at the transfer case

That article is a excellent article.are you sure you have shims in the rear? and do those shims have the pinion pointed in the correct angle? as far as using a front shaft in the rear, yes it can be done,there are many threads that explain how to do it and what you can use. adjusting trac bar,find level ground disco it,turn wheels back and forth until wheels are centered. bolt trac bar to axle adjust to fit frame end.

I have a 98 with the RE 3.5" lift, no vibes, no tc drop, no sye. You'll be fine if you are just getting minor vibes under acceleration. I wouldn't get the sye unless you plan on going higher.

It is true the 96+ xj's tend to require a sye at lower lift heights than the older models, but you can still get away with 3-3.5" typically before needing one. It all depends on the individual xj, though.

I have a 98 with the RE 3.5" lift, no vibes, no tc drop, no sye. You'll be fine if you are just getting minor vibes under acceleration. I wouldn't get the sye unless you plan on going higher.

It is true the 96+ xj's tend to require a sye at lower lift heights than the older models, but you can still get away with 3-3.5" typically before needing one. It all depends on the individual xj, though.

Yeah, i'm not a total stranger to the jeep world. I've had a couple lifted yjs. My opinion is that I am one of those unique xjs that need a sye at 3 inches.

I put the jeep up on a two post lift and discoed the trac bar then adjusted the new trac bar. Seems to be centered, we'll find out after i align it at work tomorrow:wave1:

Back