• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got my 8.8 today!!

awesome use of the atv/bike jack! comes in handy sometimes!

Did the swap at my buddies shop and he suggested we use that. It made it so easy, just rolled it under and jacked it up till everting lined up. No chance of the axle tipping or anything. Used a peice of 2x4 under the pinion snout and set the angle and welded everthing up. 5 hours start to finish.

Yep looks like an 8.8 with a trac-lok .It should have disks on both sides of the carrier and it is possible to add disks to make them a stronger grab.
I have one sitting at my house that needs a ring gear and pinion.My Nephew has one in his XJ with drums and works great.

Still working that one out. Stock cherokee lines reach but have a different fitting. Thinking of fabing a little bracket to hold the lines on the mechanism.

Still working that one out. Stock cherokee lines reach but have a different fitting. Thinking of fabing a little bracket to hold the lines on the mechanism.

Guess that's another advantage to the 8.8, the disks are stock (on this model anyway) and doesn't seem to hard to fab up solutions to your problems.
Arlington PAP always has several XJ's, you might find a front axle there.

Thats what I am hoping, you gotta love the nice paved areas and grass up at that one. Sure beats the mud down at the lynwwood pull'a'parts.
Just ordered a RE long slip yoke to fix the binding problem. I will have to keep everyone posted on if it fixes the problem or not.

I'm not running a SYE, so I slid the axle under and matched the angle of the tailshaft to the pinion angle and then took about 2 degrees out to account for load. I have read that when you run a double cardan U-joint with a SYE you would aim the pinion right at the end of the transfer case.

Thats what I am hoping, you gotta love the nice paved areas and grass up at that one. Sure beats the mud down at the lynwwood pull'a'parts.
Just ordered a RE long slip yoke to fix the binding problem. I will have to keep everyone posted on if it fixes the problem or not.

It is beautiful up there. That's the best setup I've seen since CA PAP's. Those are like giant parking lots of pavement. Arlington has the environmental thing down as well.

Installed the RE long slip yoke yesterday. Like everthing I have read, long is a bit of a stretch as it appears maybe 1/4 inch at best. The plus side is the ears on the yoke are clearanced so there is room for plenty of angle. Threw a new neapco u-joint on it and put everthing back in the jeep. Loud thudding under heavy braking is gone and there is at least 1/2 clearance before binding now. Looks like I dodged the SYE yet again. I may end up being the only guy with 5-6 inches of lift in the back and no drive train vibes. I must have been born under a lucky star....

Back