• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just curious... what's different with 1997 Cherokee's

austinaubinoe

NAXJA Forum User
looking at '97 cherokees and there are a few weird things about them.

-Different over headlights, different sound bar, and some early ones it seems had a different airbag (actually I have seen some 98's with the weird airbag, and some '97 country's with the style used up to '01)

So, just wondering if there are any less noticeable differences in the transitional years.

The front clip is different along with the rear hatch.

Sorry, I was kinda referring to the differences between the 1997 model year and the later ones. The OBD 2 and 29 spline 8.25 came mid year 1996.

are there any parts unique to the '97, any idea whats up with the airbag designs?

sorry im just into factory specs and there differences. 97's are hard to figure out.

Oh and was there EVER a 2 dr Country or limited?

I haven't been able to pin down the year of the swap but the late models used two different airbag covers. One with 'wings' all the way down to the steering wheel, the other version didn't have the wings and used blank plastic plates or cruise buttons.
The covers will swap, did it on mine.

98 introduced the soundbar integrated into the headliner, 97 used a separate clip in soundbar just like the 96's.

98 introduced the soundbar integrated into the headliner, 97 used a separate clip in soundbar just like the 96's.

I've seen threads where folks have commented that some of the wiring in the '97 differs from that of the '98+. It's as if they were using up the parts they had on hand. My son has a '96 Classic, built 9/96, late for a '96 model. It came with the '97+ wiper arms, and there are things under the hood different from my early '96. His Classic has just about every option they had-OHC, power everything, UpCountry, Jensen AccuSound speakers (since replaced-they didn't last long), dark glass, etc. I've seen Limiteds and Countrys in the junkyard that were not as well equipped.

I think you should look at it more as how did the 00/01s differ, but anyway. My 97 has different cargo/dome wiring and the older square lights; HP D30 (LP on 00/01 only?); the older seats (again 00/01 changeover?); IAC wiring changed, but TPS, MAP, and IAT interchange; instrument panel changed for later years (00/01, I believe); roof rack...

I've seen 2 different wheels/airbags in 97+ models- is it really just the cover that differs?

My '96 Country is a stripper as well- crank windows an manual locks. Soon (hopefully) to be remedied. It now has an OHC, that I found in a stripper '96 Sport (!). I think they had fun throwing options into the wrong vehicles on the assembly line.

depending on the manufactor month, i think some 97s had old style door hinges while others have the newer. mine both have old 96-pre hinges. also im pretty sure my 2dr 97 had the old style sound bar at one time (the section of the headliner where it should be isnt faded and is noticably different) in other words, the soundbar wasnt integrated into the headliner like in newer models

Back