• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Joining the Marine Corps via PLC

TNflyfishn

NAXJA Forum User
I've made the decision to join the Marine Corps. I will be going in through the Platoon Leaders Course in Quantico in hopes of accepting a commission as 2nd Lt. My goal is to fly the new Lockheed-Martin F-35 JSF that will be replacing the F/A-18 and the AV-8 Harrier.

I've got my MEPS physical on Monday at 6:00am. Wish me luck. This is the biggest decision I've ever made.

Wow I hope you make it, I hear that is very difficult to get into the fighter jets.

Thank you for making such a big decision to serve our country.
Good Luck with your training and we hope it takes you where you want to be.
Keep us updated as much as you can.

i had a buddy of mine in the airforce that ended up being a navigator for c130's but he wasnt going for fighter jets just to fly...

goodluck i hear its cutthroat to be one mainly because there arent as many positions in jets but plenty of flying to be had :D

Thank you for making such a big decision to serve our country.
Good Luck with your training and we hope it takes you where you want to be.
Keep us updated as much as you can.

X3 on all counts!

:patriot:

Good Luck From the Army!
Any branch of service is cool with me.

:patriot:

Best of luck to you and THANKS!!!

MEPs rescheduled my appt for today at 0600. I got done just after noon. They gave me a clean bill of health and some good news about the first step to becoming a pilot. My vision is 15/20 and 17/20, which the docs called "fighter pilot vision". I'm pretty excited at this point.

I've made the decision to join the Marine Corps. I will be going in through the Platoon Leaders Course in Quantico in hopes of accepting a commission as 2nd Lt. My goal is to fly the new Lockheed-Martin F-35 JSF that will be replacing the F/A-18 and the AV-8 Harrier.

I've got my MEPS physical on Monday at 6:00am. Wish me luck. This is the biggest decision I've ever made.

Good luck with PLC. Don't get your hopes up about flying fighter jets for the Corps. It's not that straight-forward and you have yet to go through the gauntlet at NAMI.

NAMI is hell for most NAVY/MC guys. A lot of guys in training with me got the NAMI Whammy and are now in NFO slots. MEPS may clear you, but they are just looking to make sure you do not have cancer or are deformed.

I am in Strike NAV training at NAS Pensacola. USAF 2LT. I will track into fighters going for a f15E slot hopefully. I am a WSO or backseater. I am in Instrument Ground School and will go back to the plane in a few weeks.

Flight School? Be ready to study, memorize, fly the mission repeatedly in a chair facing the wall, while doing all the hand motions, callouts, and radio calls. Be ready to memorize a HUGE amount of info. Then be ready to study some more. Did I mention you need to study some more? Be able to trace all the systems of the plane in explicit detail from memory. You will memorize about 6 pages of BOLDFACE. Look up T-34 or T-6 Boldface on google when you get the chance. It is called Immediate Action Items in NAVY Terms. Then Study some more. They will hand you a stack of books when you check into training. If you are smart, you will read all of them and make notes before class starts. Then read them again during class. Be ready to have a reason for anything you do in the airplane, they may not ask why you decided to turn left when you did, but you had better be ready to tell them if they ask. Essentially, if you can tell the instructor the procedures for what he is about to teach you, you will be fine.

If I had studied as much in college as I did in the first 2 weeks of flight training, I would have graduated a year early with a 4.0 GPA and honors. Good Luck, sincerely, from a guy already in the middle of it. But I do know what kinds of things recruiters say, and have seen the poster that says the marines will give you a flight spot for signing up. Just remember that to be a Fighter Pilot you need to be the HARDEST working dude in a school FULL of hard working dudes.

NAMI is hell for most NAVY/MC guys. A lot of guys in training with me got the NAMI Whammy and are now in NFO slots. MEPS may clear you, but they are just looking to make sure you do not have cancer or are deformed.

I am in Strike NAV training at NAS Pensacola. USAF 2LT. I will track into fighters going for a f15E slot hopefully. I am a WSO or backseater. I am in Instrument Ground School and will go back to the plane in a few weeks.

Flight School? Be ready to study, memorize, fly the mission repeatedly in a chair facing the wall, while doing all the hand motions, callouts, and radio calls. Be ready to memorize a HUGE amount of info. Then be ready to study some more. Did I mention you need to study some more? Be able to trace all the systems of the plane in explicit detail from memory. You will memorize about 6 pages of BOLDFACE. Look up T-34 or T-6 Boldface on google when you get the chance. It is called Immediate Action Items in NAVY Terms. Then Study some more. They will hand you a stack of books when you check into training. If you are smart, you will read all of them and make notes before class starts. Then read them again during class. Be ready to have a reason for anything you do in the airplane, they may not ask why you decided to turn left when you did, but you had better be ready to tell them if they ask. Essentially, if you can tell the instructor the procedures for what he is about to teach you, you will be fine.

If I had studied as much in college as I did in the first 2 weeks of flight training, I would have graduated a year early with a 4.0 GPA and honors. Good Luck, sincerely, from a guy already in the middle of it. But I do know what kinds of things recruiters say, and have seen the poster that says the marines will give you a flight spot for signing up. Just remember that to be a Fighter Pilot you need to be the HARDEST working dude in a school FULL of hard working dudes.

I hear what you are saying! And I appreciate all that you guys are doing for the rest of us. My college track coach's husband was a Naval Aviator training in San Deigo. They hosted a combined track team/Fly buddies BBQ one weekend....Now I've never been accused of being an idiot...but these guys had brains oozing out of their ears...no sh*t. I was incredibly impressed with the gentleman who were training to protect my butt....and I felt safer too! Keep up the hard work, and Good Luck! :cheers:

oh, I remember him telling me the scariest thing he ever did was Carrier landing training...at night! I am not worthy...:worship:

Back