• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Show First Place Award!!

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
The plaque will hang right next to my warning ticket for "Generally Defective Equipment".

I took First Place in the "Most Used & Abused" category at a show and shine over the weekend.

IMG_0093.jpg

Considering I daily drive it and run 220 miles (one way) from DC to Norfolk and back most weeks I am very pleased.

John

that's pretty cool... haven't heard of that award yet :)

I would say of the 90+ Jeeps in the show only two or three showed any signs of rock rash or proper use. It could be that XJ's tend to show damage better than TJ's, CJ's, YJ's or that Kejtar (SoCal member) "spotted" for me a few times. :)

There was a cleanest Jeep award too. It was won by a lowered Commander on DUBS. The Commanders must have a fantastic after market in bling. I have to admit it was a beautiful and cool looking vehicle but I am not sure it was exactly the XJ heritatage replacement the ChryCo thought it would be.

John

Congratulations John. :D

Was any of that damage received on the Rubicon 2006 trip?

Come on John,Tell them how hard you worked to get a better RTI score.

Wayne

Good job John. I had forgot you went to VA. Hell, I am just south of you now in North GA.

Even though you won most used and abused that commander deserved the most abused award. It really was a great show this weekend. It was great meeting John and Wayne. Hope to see yall around some more.

Will

xjohnnyc,

The four lower corners were from the Rubicon trip as was the bashed in drivers door (Kejtar) and the torn up upper door frame (peeled it open 18" when I hooked a root in the cut behind Rubicon Springs are all from that trip.

Everything else, crushed front fenders, wrinkled side panels, dented rear upper fenders, hatch cracks, popped spot welds, broken tail lights and holes in the hatch (hidden fence post) are all from Crozet in Va. Kejitar doesnt spot here so I guess my only excuse is that I drive worse or my trail difficulty has gotten bigger but my tires havent.

Wayne,
20 deg ramp
Disconnected, 31x10.50, 4.5 lift, short arms.
1st try, weight forward, 26 psi: 600
2nd try, weight aft 16 psi:685
3rd try, spare on the carrier, (time to cheat) wt shifted to driver side, 12 psi LF & RR. I wanted to extend my shocks asymmetrically but I didn't have the needed shims and bolts: 715

I did better 2 years ago where I got a 740 and didn't put in asymmetrically weight or tire pressures.

I think the score was worse because I raised my rear lower shock mounts which forced me to run shorter compressed length (and extended length) shocks. As you can tell from the picture at the top its a well balanced rig overall and I think it wheels pretty well. While the shortened rear shocks hurt the RTI score it wheels better.

shelbyluvv,

Do you wheel/are you close to Uwharrie? There is a group from here going down there in a month or so. I don't know if I will go yet, but I am hopeful. How did you adjust to the change? I know for me if it weren't for the rocks of Crozet and Big Dogs (Gore Va) I would have sold my rig some time ago.

obx-xj,
I didn't like the Commander either but (call me a heretic) after I looked at it a while I figured that not only did it look good (I like low riders) but its about the best thing you can do with a Commander. You have to admit it did sparkle and it had an awesome sound system. It definitely wasn't what I would call a Jeep but it was cool ride.

John

Last edited:
nosigma said:
The plaque will hang right next to my warning ticket for "Generally Defective Equipment".

I took First Place in the "Most Used & Abused" category at a show and shine over the weekend.

IMG_0093.jpg

Considering I daily drive it and run 220 miles (one way) from DC to Norfolk and back most weeks I am very pleased.

John

Do you have any more pictures or specs on your rig?

I also see you run 31" tires. Any reason you like that size with 4.5" of lift?

Kudos on the award. I think your rig looks great!

nosigma said:
xjohnnyc,

The four lower corners were from the Rubicon trip as was the bashed in drivers door (Kejtar) and the torn up upper door frame (peeled it open 18" when I hooked a root in the cut behind Rubicon Springs are all from that trip.

Everything else, crushed front fenders, wrinkled side panels, dented rear upper fenders, hatch cracks, popped spot welds, broken tail lights and holes in the hatch (hidden fence post) are all from Crozet in Va. Kejitar doesnt spot here so I guess my only excuse is that I drive worse or my trail difficulty has gotten bigger but my tires havent.

haha...learn how to drive! :) congrats on the award though. Going to Moab? you can beat out Remi for ugliest rig

Pacific Ed,

The rig is mostly a junkyard build. I will give you the topics and you can search on Modified tech & SoCal (nosigma or topic) for details.

92 XJ, 4.0, stock transfer case and gears (3.54)
Thunderbird Coils-V6
SYE (PORC)
XJ Front shaft in rear
Bastard Pack
Combo of XJ & Bronco leafs because they are thin. I built 5 or 6 packs, some for heavy load out multi day trips, others for light load trips (east coast) where I camp at the pay to play parks and unload most stuff before wheeling.
Deaver Leaf pads/isolators
Lift blocks.
I use 1" forged aluminum blocks that I made. They are much longer than the axle pad and curve down at the ends to avoid concentrating stress at a single point on the springs. Over a year with no sag or cracking.
Lift shackle 1-1/2 lift
D44 from an 87 XJ
Aussie Lockers F&R (I use to have a mini spool in the rear. It wheeled better in rocks, mud, ice & snow but I couldnt afford the tires once I had to DD it.
D30 front with Chromo shafts (I forget what brand, I got them from Ron Brown.
Snorkelator (air box feeds from firewall)
Home made disconnects using 3/4 or 1 ton Chevy rear links.
Stock gas tank skid.
Stock transfer case skid
Stock front skid (recently pulled off)
Stock hitch
Stock front tow hooks
Rusty's engine/trans skid (very very happy with Rusty's)
Rusty's F&R diff guards
AJ's rock rails
Armored muffler. 4-1"x1/8" straps with a 1/16 plate over top.
RE track bar.
Monroe shocks F&R using stud style ends in the front to maximize length and minimize compression. Use 1"x1/4" channel on the lower end to adapt it.
Hockey puck front bump stop extensions and box tube stack (welded) to extend the rear.
Raised rear shock mounts
Skids on the front lower mounts
Terra flex adjustable lowers. Wore out after 3yrs of heavy use. Replaced with adjustable Rustys uppers & lowers I got from a buddy for free. Very beefy.
Stock bumpers (they bend out of the way and self clearance)
Alumiflex tie rod. ruined it on a stump at crozet after bending it 12 inches being stupid. Repalce with a inner and outer sleeved stock tie rod, solid bar inside, 1/2x1/2 angle welded to two sides forming a box on the outside.
Removable doors & half doors, hinge pin mods.

31x10.50 Firestone MT or Daytons. Why? Inexpensive, no gear change required, 3 ply sidewall and the stuff really, really well (look at the LF). 33's only give another 1/2-1" under the diff (the Dayton/Firstones run true to size). I dont have a care in the world about breaking axles or stock XJ drive shafts and I didnt have to build a D44. When I upgrade (soon I hope) it will be 60's and 35+ but I am going to stay as low as possible.

djblade311,
If the wife will let me go to Moab I certainly will. Should I ask Remi for direction to get there?

John

Last edited:
Back