• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Cherokee vs. Chevy Silverado

Ya know... I'm not someone who's a 'pickup guy'. They're OK for what they're intended for, but I really don't have the need for one. Having said that:

This afternoon a friend of mine and I were in a garage looking for a parking space. A newish-looking Silverado was pulling out, and it appeared to be listing really badly to the left on the rear. We were wondering what had happened to it until we realised what was going on: it had rear-wheel steering, and appeared to be power-assisted. I don't know if that was factory or aftermarket, but either way it was pretty damned cool.

But yeah, you should buy an XJ :)

I have a ford Super Crew with 35's and 6"es of lift. It does not do so well off-road. When I bought it it had about 10 inches of lift, sitting on 37" radial claws. The dude that had it before me took it off-road 2 times. Both times stuck in the mud just getting into the trail.

Too long, too heavy to really take them off-road. Plus IFS sucks off road!!

The jeep, well I used to have a cherokee. That thing was excellent off-road on 35's, and on the road was fantastic. I could drive to the trail at 70, 80 mph, then wheel the heck out of it, then drive it home, and go to work in it the next day.

All around rig, go for the cherokee...

The other option is a wrangler TJ, we got two of them in the family and I'm about to adopt my daughters when she moves to philly. Now I have TWO jeeps to sink money into, oh joy....

i like wranglers but... not for me. With that said now to the comment about the truck gettin stuck. I would off road that much i mean i where i live there isnt n e where i can go and it would be like muddin :p and just gettin it dirty i mean we have telico but... thats not 4 a truck lol thats a jeep thing ;)
N E WAY lol i aslo want this vehicle to look GOOD and TURN heads lol and most of all i just want to enjoy it! Thanx again 4 all the hlep plz keep postin info and thoughts!!!

rockcrawler873 said:
plz keep postin info and thoughts!!!

One thought comes to mind - stop typing in text-messaging-speak. Every time someone types 'n e' instead of 'any', '4' instead of 'for', 'u' instead of 'you', 'ppl' instead of 'people', or some other pidgin term instead of an actual word in the English language, it's impossible to take them seriously.

rockcrawler873 said:
i like wranglers but... not for me. With that said now to the comment about the truck gettin stuck. I would off road that much i mean i where i live there isnt n e where i can go and it would be like muddin :p and just gettin it dirty i mean we have telico but... thats not 4 a truck lol thats a jeep thing ;)
N E WAY lol i aslo want this vehicle to look GOOD and TURN heads lol and most of all i just want to enjoy it! Thanx again 4 all the hlep plz keep postin info and thoughts!!!

Same with my son, he practically has to beat them off with a stick when it comes time for a field trip to the bogs for his ecco classes, he calls it his ego jeep, pissed off a few guys in his classes too with it. Seen more good looking babes in jeeps and wranglers in particular than I have in pick em ups thats for sure..:)
Not to mention the ones that flirt with me at traffic lights downtown when I got the daughters TJ and the tops off and got some good tunes playing and I'm an old fart too...

Well, Im sorry for the "text typin" it makes things easier and im sorry if you dont take it serious b/c i wouldnt want someones advise who is critizin every little thing they can just for attention but N E WAY!!!!!! lol thanx to all those how have helped and ive got another question. For those with a lifted jeep and its your DD and its got 35s on it with preferable a 6"+ inch lift how does it ride and.. do u have any pics you could post of a person next to it for a comparison pic?

There is much to be learned from building gradually rather than starting out with 35's.

rockcrawler873 said:
Well, Im sorry for the "text typin" it makes things easier and im sorry if you dont take it serious b/c i wouldnt want someones advise who is critizin every little thing they can just for attention but N E WAY!!!!!! lol thanx

If I wanted attention, I'd run naked through the streets. What I'm trying to do here is save you from yourself: consider for a moment that we have people posting here for whom English is not their native language, yet they manage to spell words correctly that are, for them, in a foreign language. In light of this, I guess your problem isn't ignorance as much as it's just sheer laziness.

to all those how have helped and ive got another question. For those with a lifted jeep and its your DD and its got 35s on it with preferable a 6"+ inch lift how does it ride and.. do u have any pics you could post of a person next to it for a comparison pic?

Try either XJDB or the picture forum. However, I would strongly suggest that you run the vehicle stock until you figure out the areas you want a lift to address; I was fully-stock for over two years and am glad that I didn't jump in head-first and lift it right off the bat: it gave me a chance to both learn the vehicle's capabilities as well as figure out what would work for me in terms of the end result I wanted to achieve.

Last edited:
williamk53 said:
X2...Unless you've just got money to burn that is...

One thing has nothing to do with the other... having the cash to start out big still doesn't provide the knowledge that comes with building over time.

Wheeling stock rocks.
I was amazingly surprised at what a stock jeep with some skid plates was capable of.
just make sure you get tow points and skid plates!

FWIW the local shop guy showed me the underside of a chevy 1/2 ton the other day. The IFS center section is aluminum, and bolts together in such a way that the force of the gears is working agianst the bolts. They have constant leaking problems.

Every time I see a douchebag in a Z71 with 38's and 6" lift blocks separating his 10 bolt from the springs, who could also fit a baseball between his frame and his body, I chuckle a bit to myself.

lifted XJ= real wheeler

CHEVY IFS with big ass tires and a 10 bolt= poser

Personally If I saw you in town driving a giant chevy I would think you were trying to compensate for something.

O N BTW ur off 2 a gud start lookin lik a DOUCHE wen u typ lik ths!

rockcrawler873 said:
Well, Im sorry for the "text typin" it makes things easier and im sorry if you dont take it serious b/c i wouldnt want someones advise who is critizin every little thing they can just for attention but N E WAY!!!!!! lol thanx to all those how have helped and ive got another question. For those with a lifted jeep and its your DD and its got 35s on it with preferable a 6"+ inch lift how does it ride and.. do u have any pics you could post of a person next to it for a comparison pic?

You sound like a 14 year old girl. In my head anyway.

El OH EL liftud chEvrolay trukz r KEWL!!!11one

Muddin' Chebby quad IFS 6" lift 35's ======= STUCK ====== call daddy to get tow truck to pull you out.

XJ 35's Muddin' lockers, look at me I'm cool===== really stuck =====call daddy to get tow truck to pull you out.

My 2 pennies worth, look on e-bay and buy a lifted cherokee on 35's with some lockers. Buy a trailer for your toys. you'll be able to park it alot easier than the P-up, and still carry your friends around to the bars. The trailer you can keep at a storage lot, with the toys.

If the cherokee was lifted properly, on 35's (as long as they areen't bias ply) the thing will drive well on the road.

Give us an idea of your budget for this vehicle.

Lawn Cher' said:
One thing has nothing to do with the other... having the cash to start out big still doesn't provide the knowledge that comes with building over time.

Please let me clarify my statement: The money is for correcting the mistakes made while building up the vehicle when you really don't know what you want or need. Is that better?

Start looking for a Comanche. Learn to wheel it. Modify it slowly. It's enjoyable.

Who really needs more than one or two friends in the car at a time?

Chevy half tons do not have a front diff problem. I just sold a '99 with 130k and not a drip underneath. "The most dependable trucks on the road." If you want to argue this, Start a new thread.

Back