• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

it's a funny thing.....

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
... how much better it runs with an O2 sensor that is actually plugged into the harness...... took damn near an hour and pulled out half the threads from the manifold.. but its in there now.... starts smooth.. idles smooth.. no more stalling cold... and i don't see my gas guage going down as i drive..
mark this one under the "DUH!!" category..
mike

:D

hmmmm

Sid, which o2 sensor is this, and how old is the jeep. My 99 has been stalling lately and the milage went from 14-15 to 10mpg. I am about to throw an iac and tps at it, but with almost 80,000 on the clock, could the o2 sensor be bad?

Re: hmmmm

bgcntry72 said:
Sid, which o2 sensor is this, and how old is the jeep. My 99 has been stalling lately and the milage went from 14-15 to 10mpg. I am about to throw an iac and tps at it, but with almost 80,000 on the clock, could the o2 sensor be bad?
Sounds EXACTLY like a bad O2 sensor, and the milage is just right, too.
Easy and cheap to replace, takes a special $10 socket. Try this first.
Also, new plugs while you're at, since it has prolly been running rich (the default condition) and they're prolly fouled.

edit: PS The front sensor, in the exhaust manifold.

I just replaced my 99 O2 with only 35k on it after the check engine light came on for the second time with the same code, bad front O2 sensor. I got the Bosch oem replacement sensor from Auto Zone for about 79 bucks. It works great, for now.

This seems like an interesting topic..... I have 120K and my mpg is fluctuating and it's so so.... I don't think the 02 sensor was ever replaced and at $130 I'm having a hard time bringing myself to do it... How do I test it? is there a voltage that it should yield? can it be revived or anytihng? plus.. don't we have 2 O2 sensors?

Kejtar

Kejtar said:
This seems like an interesting topic..... I have 120K and my mpg is fluctuating and it's so so.... I don't think the 02 sensor was ever replaced and at $130 I'm having a hard time bringing myself to do it... How do I test it? is there a voltage that it should yield? can it be revived or anytihng? plus.. don't we have 2 O2 sensors?

Kejtar

second that, can you test it? maybe I'll see if I can buy one, put it in, then if nothing improves take it out and return it...

it can be tested, but the sensor doesn't work until it becomes hot (200 degrees or something). try heating it with a torch (carefully!!) and then using a voltmeter with a resistor in line. i've been told that some voltmeters (analog?) draw enough current to destroy the sensor, and the resistor might limit that.proceed with caution! my friends 84 dodge's o2 sensor is supposed to read between .1 and .9, anything else and its broken. just a little FYI. personally, i'd just replace it and avoid the hassle.
hope this helps. dan f.

Go with the Bosch, I've had mine in for a couple of years and enjoy 22MPH on the highway running my road tires and 17MPG with my mud tires.

Ketjar wrote:

don't we have 2 O2 sensors?

To the best of my knowledge (at least on the '96), the second O2 sensor (on the backside of the CAT) is only there to compare readings with the first sensor (on the exhaust manifold) to determine if the CAT is still functioning correctly. It does not control engine performance like O2 sensor #1.

I replaced the CAT on my '96 and it didn't have a mounting bung for the second sensor - so I've been running w/o it and it has had no effect on performance (damn check engine light stays on though, so I have to get up off my rear and have a mounting hole created. Not for the light (black tape is wonderful), but when NJ emissions plugs into the OBD system!).

Mike in NJ :patriot:

OK..... so theoretically oif the O2 sensor goes bad we would get a light as they wouldn't match on the readings between the two? unless both of them go at the same time???

Kejtar

seems like i hit a familiar chord with this one... i got an OEM sensor from the stealership, cant find my reciept right now but i think it was only like $89... but i bought a few other things at the same time..... and that $10 socket only lasted about 10 mins of my hanging my entire body on it and pulling as hard as i could on it.... it snapped in TWO !!! a pair of handy, dandy vise-grips got it out the rest of the way.... was pulling so hard on it to get it loose i had a black bruise on my chest the next morning from where i was wedging my body against the LCA bracket......
the worst damn "finget tip" job i think i've ever had to do...
purrs like a kitten now, like a totally different truck...
mike

Pimp slap me if I am wrong...but I believe Federal law mandates that the emissions systems need to be good for 100K miles, and regardless of warranty, the Stealership must replace any emission controlled items at MoJunk's cost. The Stealership will not tell you this, but I know I have found a link on this. Take it in and tell them that...if they refuse, I think they might be breaking rocks at Leavenworth.

Kejtar --

The O2 sensor is supposed to be changed at 80,000 miles intervals. It may not go into a total failure mode at 80,001 miles, but by 120,000 it is probably going bad. I have no idea how far out of spec a reading has to be before the check engine light is triggered, but I'd guess you're running close enough to the limits to be getting intermittant faults.

Two experiences, both with the '88 (Renix): Many years ago I made the mistake of paying a dealer to do the TSB on cutting out the infamous C101 connector and soldering all the wires together. This, I was told, would correct a number of minor but annoying problems I was experiencing. It did not -- but a couple of weeks after getting the truck back I went in for my annual smog check ... and failed. Went back to the dealer and complained, they checked it out and replaced the O2 sensor. They said it wasn't bed after they worked on it, but "failed" in the two weeks before I went in for the sniffer test.

Being me, I kept all the old emissions test reports, so I went and looked at them. Don't recall which of the readings it was -- hydrocarbons, I think -- but I could see that for about 3 or 4 years from new the reading was so close to zero it didn't count, then for 3 years it steadily increased, until I failed. New O2 sensor and it was back to zero. So ... O2 "failure" is not a go/no go situation.

More recently, about a year ago I was noticing some very subtle "popping" (like small carburetor backfires in the old days) when I'd let off the gas to shift (5-speed). It took me awhile to correlate this with engine temp and operating mode, but I finally wised up, replaced the O2 sensor, and all was well. It had not gotten bad enough to make a huge drop in gas mileage, but it was bad enough that when I let off the gas to shift the O2 didn't register the change in mixture immediately, so it continued to inject enough fuel for a load while I was shifting. The extra fuel was igniting in the header or the cat, and backfiring.

Bottom line -- you need an O2 sensor.

Speaking from a 90 XJ perspective an emissions idiot light will come on when the Emissions Maintenance Timer (name might vary but I think thats it) finishes counting down 85K miles. The EMT is a small clear box with numerous plastic gears in it under the lower dash panel to the right of the steering column. The timer sets off the light as a reminder to change the o2 sensor. Once you change out the sensor the light will stay on until you have the timer reset at a dealership or you unplug the timer. From my experience and what I have read and been told unplugging the timer in no way affects the operation of the o2 sensor or the performance of the vehicle.

Back