• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is something wrong with my clutch or tranny???

aeheschutte

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 4.0L 4wd manual trans. Heres the issue. I keep grinding my gears when i am shifting, and its not my bad shifting either.(haha) I ensure that i have the clutch pedel pushed all of the way down before i move the stick into my next gear. But if i hold down the clutch for about 5 secs before i shift, the problem is a lot less noticable compared to if i just push in the clutch pedel and shift. I know you shouldnt have to hold in the clutch for 5 seconds before you shift. And the gears grind real bad when shifting into reverse. I am always completely stoped too when i shift into reverse. Am i crazy or can someone tell me that they know what is up mechanically with my XJ?? i can supply more info if someone thinks they know what is up.

Thanks

i would say your clutch is not engaging all the way. have you noticed a realy bad smell lately? do you drive with your foot resting on the clutch?

Clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. Check fluid. If low check inside, usually soaks the fuse panel, or around the clutch housing if it's the slave. A thread within the past week goes into all this in great detail.

I usually catch myself resting my foot on the clutch. But i havent noticed a bad smell. just some old oil burning off my exhaust.(i used to have a rear main leak, but now is fixed.) i have always heard not to lay your foot on the clutch, but not thinking about it, i do it.

i would say your clutch is not engaging all the way. have you noticed a realy bad smell lately? do you drive with your foot resting on the clutch?

Your clutch is not releasing completely. Usually this is from the master/slave hydraulic system not moving the throw out bearing far enough. Check the reservoir on the master cyl for enough fluid (same as brake fluid). If it's low, you probably have a leak and need to replace one or the other fairly soon. But you can survive for some time by refilling. Just watch for the fuse box issue above. That could get nasty.

I wonder why it does better after holding the pedal to the floor for 5 seconds? If the master cylinder or slave cylinder were leaking down wouldn't you expect the problem to be worse the longer the clutch pedal is depressed? Same for fluid bypassing in the master cylinder?

Hold cold is it in NM right now? What oil in the transmission?

If you have 75-90 weight gear oil it will shift harder.

Try 10w30 in the transmission. If that doesn't help I think either your shifter or synchros are worn.

It is kind of normal to hold the clutch down for 5 seconds or so before engaging first or reverse. This lets the shafts stop spinning. And helps not wear out your synchros if they already aren't. Usually reverse is not synchroed anyway (I think).

Back