• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is my ecu going bad?

sharq

NAXJA Forum User
My '93 4.0 aw4 started dying on me a few weeks back. i did the key trick and found the o2 sensor code and the cps code. i replaced both. thought it fixed the problem because i didnt have the stalling problem for 2 days till just now on my way home from work. i still have the o2 and cps codes but now i also have a MAP code(13). should i just replace the MAP and see what happens? why would all these sensors go bad at once? i dies intermittently. im just driving along then it dies suddenly without warning.

Always best to post the exact code numbers here. With codes, the devil is in the details.

Many times, the code is the same for the crankshaft position sensor as it is for the camshaft position sensor (inside your distributor). I'd consider testing that as well as your map sensor.

Test your way to a solution; don't throw parts at it....

Whenever I see multiple and/or intermittent trouble codes, I immeditely become suspicious of grond issues. I'm not sure where the grounds are on a 95 but I would suspect there is one from the back of the head to the firewall and a few at the dipstick tube stud. Someone else feel free to chime in here. Anyway, remove, scrape, clean and polish those grounds first before throwing parts at it. Also unplug and plug back in each component that is suggested in your trouble codes. Look for bad connections and chafing of wires near those components.

i agree with cruiser about the ground probs. that many probs and it bein intermittin makes me think a ground prob too. i would run bigger and better grounds to start with and a few more wont hurt either. check your wiring harness grounds

ive just inspected all the grounds. the wiring harness grounds to the distributor side of the block look most suspect. they are covered in oil and are a bit twisted. i guess ill try putting new terminals on those 3 wires and see if there is any change.

ive just inspected all the grounds. the wiring harness grounds to the distributor side of the block look most suspect. they are covered in oil and are a bit twisted. i guess ill try putting new terminals on those 3 wires and see if there is any change.

I have got to ask--just how does a person "inspect" the grounds?

Maybe I'm just dumb, but taking apart the grounds, cleaning them down to bare metal, treating the surfaces with an anti-corrosion material, and then tightening the connections is how the job is done, along with checking resistance when practical with an ohm meter.

Guess I'm just old fashioned.

Gandering at grounds and making a**umptions is a recipe for continued tail chasing. Listen to Joe. He's giving the right advice. Refreshing grounds on a Jeep is free and many times eliminates those problems that would other wise cause you to scratch your head or other parts of your anatomy for weeks.

maybe i used the wrong wording. maybe i should have said i looked a all the grounds pretty good. decided i should replace the terminals on some of them. the wires were coming loose from the crimped on terminals. replaced those yesterday morn. also went with a battery cable wire from the firewall to the head to replace the old ground strap and cleaned all the other grounds. unable to replicate the motor dying so far. fingers crossed. thanks for looking out guys.

Back