• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intro to Naxja

themax01

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone. Im Aaron and I am from Omaha Ne. I just bought a 1986 xj w/2.8 auto tranny and no real clue about my current setup. I know the 2.8 is a chevy motor. I know the tranny doesnt seem to be right, guessing torque convertor and the 4x4 works. Its a ugly beast with great floors and interior. I am looking at a full chevy setup. I have 2.8(carbed) with tranny and transfer case. I want to swap tranny and t-case. Needing some tech on how to do this. I will get more specs on the setup after I buy it. Its dirt cheap and its all runs great. I would appreciate some help. Even if that means that some help learning how to use the search better. I have been looking up swaps and what not for about a week on and off. Thanks in advance.

Greetings and salutations.

:wave:

Ok I did some research and this is what I found:

Engine GM 2.8L V6 - 115 hp @ 4800 rpm, 145 ft lb @ 2400 rpm
Transmission Torqueflight 904 - 3 speed automatic
Transfer cases NP207 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.61:1 ratio low range/ NP228/NP229 - "Selec-Trac" - 4Hi(full-time) - N - 4Lo (part-time)
Front Driveshaft - On 84-87 XJs (NP207 t-case) the front shaft is a "GKN" style shaft
Rear Driveshaft - The rear is a one-piece shaft with standard u-joints at both ends. The slip yoke is located on the output shaft of the transfer case. On 84-95 models, the yoke slides in and out of the transfer case and is lubricated by the ATF fluid internally.
Front Axle Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear
Rear Axle Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube

Maybe this can help answer some questions about my swap if I can get some help in here.

I am not sure. I was looking for advice and to open some dialog as I am a new member and would like to meet everyone(in the midwest). I guess I could have achieved that with a "midwest" topic. Sorry!

Welcome. I agree with stunt man the 2.8 is a turd. I'd do a 3.4 or 4.3 swap in it.

I'd put a V10 MAN diesel in it..and I happen to know where a few are :D

Now granted you would have to put the front clip off of a 83 Cadillac on it to fit, but where there is a will there is a way!

Cheeseman-OUT!

Hello Hale Stunt and Flex. I have a early 80's chevy setup waiting for me. Its out of a s-10 blazer. Its should all be vacuum run. I know the 2.8 is a dawg, I dont have a job right now and im trying to budget my way to wheeling. I bought the 86, for 200 bucks, with a three inch suspension on it from when Jesus was young I drove it home But wouldnt do over 45mph. I started thinking it might be a torque converter issue or fluid lvls.

Cheese If I had the cash to drop on the v10 I would drop it in. That would make you think that you would have to drop a full dodge ram setup in your rig. 500 hp 500 tq

Wow, Tyler tries to grab 'em young and raise 'em up right from more places than his local playground...

Welcome to the board, man! You'll find a lot of helpful people along with a lot of not so helpful people. I for one, try to mix it up. For starters on your pile, you can do a tune up. Change all the fluids, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, filters, clean up the carb and what not. It's cheap and something you're gonna do anyway, might as well get it out of the way.

I was referencing the MAN brand trucks that we have that are the 8 wheel drive rigs...they have a Mercedes engineered diesel in them and they are badazzzzzzz! And there is enough room in the cab to share nachos with that someone special.....

Wow, Tyler tries to grab 'em young and raise 'em up right from more places than his local playground...

Welcome to the board, man! You'll find a lot of helpful people along with a lot of not so helpful people. I for one, try to mix it up. For starters on your pile, you can do a tune up. Change all the fluids, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, filters, clean up the carb and what not. It's cheap and something you're gonna do anyway, might as well get it out of the way.

You forgot to tell him to look out for trees! :D

Hello Josh and Rev! Josh you are right about changing the fluids. Black and light pink. Not bad right? No but really Its needs sum luv. Ill get on that tomorrow when its nice out. 60 degrees WOO

Welcome Max!

Just have the tranny fixed. It's a TF-904 with a different bolt pattern than a standard Chrysler one, but all the internals are the same (except that it has a lower 1st gear than a standard Chrysler TF). That tranny is darn near bullet proof, and if you are looking for lockup at criuse, it does NOT. It is a regular 3spd automatic - no frills.

IMO, it's less work all around and still gets you a dependable rig. The worse thing about the 2.8Ls that they put in the Jeeps is the carb/emissions setup. The carb is not good off-camber, but had served me well. The 2.8 is like the 2.5L in that it likes revs, but not too many. Power band is between 2,600 and 5,000 rpm.

If you want to go through the bother of upgrading it, Chevy makes a crate motor which will bolt in for about the cost of a rebuild and gets you 50 more HP.

Ron

Back