• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Increasing lift from 3" to 4.5"

Drop brackets are all, as far as I know, designed to bolt in.
Long arms... "most" kits are designed to bolt in. "Some" require welding, last I looked. "several" bolt in but "recommend" welding. No one-size-fits-all answer. Generally speaking, long arms are more involved to install than drop brackets because while brackets are already on the Jeep for short arms, there's not much that the factory did to make a long-arm install easier. In fact I think you usually have to cut off the factory brackets (though that isn't a big deal)

Show pics of stiffie errr.... wait.... no.... the frame reinforcement ;) The RE kit all mounts to inside the framerails in the stock arm sockets and the supports are on the perpendicular surface to the rails just in front of the trans case crossmember.

Long arm there are many ways to mount them. Some may not be wide enough accross frame rails with the extra width the frame reinforce added.

Post pics

Ok, finally got the pics of the frame stiffeners up. Here you go:
http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/thromada/library/

How about welding though? Do short arms (with/without drop) brackets or long arms require any welding?

Your XJ with angle iron (?) frame stiffeners may need some cutting/fabrication/welding to get either drop brackets or long arms to fit. Drop brackets bolt into the stock control arm bracket on the frame, so you are OK there. The DB supports bolt onto the rear of the bracket and also to bottom of the frame rail, some cutting/fitting or fabricating may be necessary.

Long arm kits vary in their mounting location, but most mount to the bottom of the frame rail, at or near the stock cross member location.

Last edited:
Back