• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Cutting Out

jasn123456

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96xj that the engine is cutting in and out. It only does it around 2500 rpms on up. Once you reach those higher rpms the engine cuts out and returns rapidly. I have taken it to a shop and they have found nothing. No codes have come up or anything. I just replaced the coil and cap and roter. Can someone please tell me what is going on?

Throttle position sensor (TPS)? Maybe? Fifty bucks and 10 minutes to swap.

I've got the same problem. It just started on a trip this weekend. I will be going along at 60 and it will just cut out and return to power very quick. It kinda bucks every once in a while, too. It does great in town and stuff, but on the highway, I was wondering if I was gonna make it back.

I had the same problem on my 91. Come to find out the distributor was bad. replaced it and no problems since than. I believe the cam sensor is in the distributor and that was the culprit.

Back