• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idiot moment

Skully

NAXJA Forum User
So anybody have one of these?

Here's mine...........

Sunday I was overly excited to finish my Low profile roof rack build...$20 worth of new & scrap from K&K and 16' of left over 1" .95 wall tube..... (yes too cheap to buy one, all of them are ridiculously overpriced BTW most of the roof racks I see out there are $300+ some even a $1000, how in the heck they can charge that much is beyond me, there is not more than a $100 worth of materials in most of them, along with most of the selection is not what I wanted; Something really low profile, light weight stronger than the scary weak factory bars that I can strap a Hi-Lift and camping gear to without fear of it ripping off......sorry.....mini rant off)
.........as I started the build on the ground then made my brackets and bolted them to the roof and lined up the rack to the top centering it and placing it right where I wanted it.

Tacked it on and started to weld it after a couple minutes getting tired of burning the shite out of my arm I grabbed my jacket coming back I notice I have slag on my window, CRAP! grabbed my trusty large protective cardboard and proceeded to finish the welding.

Today I notice I manage to somehow get slag on every fracking window on the Heep.........................grrrrrrrr! I am not new to this either that is what pisses me off about this...........

That is my idiot moment..........................:looser:

On a side note what do you think, I can take it? ( no paint yet, that is happening now and will be on the heep by Wednesday.

rack01.jpg

rack02.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad you decided to paint it before putting it on the Heep.

It looks pretty clean sitting there on your bench.

That actually looks pretty sweet. I would prolly buy one from you.

ya once i get another XJ and get rid of this damn MJ i might have to hit you up as well to see if you would be interested in makin on them there........

oh and if you decide to powder coat that ...i know of a damn good shop here in springs
i know your in broomfeild but still

I would prolly buy one from you.

I am far long gone away from doing it to make money. Did it, done it, got screwed doing it, glad to make it a hobby again :looney:

Not that you can't come up with an awesome idea and get somebody on this board to help you fab.

My rules to have me help you and borrow my tools and garage is;

1. contribute to the supplies fund (Gas & wire, cleaners etc.)
2. Bring snacks and drinks
3. don't take up my garage for more than 12 hours at a time. (Wife's car parks in there. :) )
4. Put in some sweat equity and if I end up doing all the work I am keeping it. ;)

Over all the cost;

$22.50 1" .95 tube $1.50 a foot(recycled from my old hanging surround sound setup)
$23.00 2" wide 1/8 flat bar
$5 misc scrap steel for gussets, mounts, etc. .50 a pound
$3 1/2 1/4 think tabs

Plus you figure in gases & wire this thing cost me $55 worth of materials. Not including the hour or so of labor.

......however if you add in the windows replacement eventually it would be $800 :jester:

oh and if you decide to powder coat that ...i know of a damn good shop here in springs
i know your in broomfeild but still

Powder coat is fine if it never sees a trail, my experience is it is easy to re-paint & touch up krylon rust tough semi flat black than expensive powder coat....

Well even though I had a bad moment building it, the thing turned out good, I think ......the fog lights are just there for testing, and I think I might add a small hoop to protect them, I also have tabs in the back for rear lights, but all good in due time. :cheers:

Not bad for $60 eh? .....minus the slag scarred windows :dunce:

xj07.jpg

xj08.jpg

xj04.jpg

xj05.jpg

I like it, been thinkin about fabing one for mine, good starter project then rock sliders :D just have to wait till winter when I can save some time and moneys:D

looks great though...

looks very good!...
i think im just gonna get a rear tire swing and a light bar for up top....we will see

Not bad!! Do those mounts go through the roof?

Your choice of lights is....well...wrong. Fog lights mounted that high and that far back aren't going to do you any good......

Frank......:loveu:.... ya ideas and input man...............but :twak:........read that post again :D

......the fog lights are just there for testing, and I think I might add a small hoop to protect them,..........
:cheers::D

Need....more....coffee........NOW!

I am drinking my coffee right now, got that crud/cold virus going around, I need a LOT more coffee :rof:

ColoradoRaptor:
Not bad!! Do those mounts go through the roof?
YES & NO....
....and I do not like rain gutter mounts, seen too many get ripped off by low hanging tree branches. I used 10 of the factory roof rack bolts.

If I see a problem I will go through the roof with nuts on the end of the bolts and use bonded washers to seal it. Next project is to build a cage/ support structure inside to stiffen up the unibody in key places such as stopping the roof from caving in...... when you are use to a CJ with a 6 point cage it kind of freaked me out driving my XJ............:shocked:

Back