• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I suck at welding.

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm having a problem laying the bead in the right spot

BQYIU-DSCF0866.JPG

Other then that, I don't know. This is my second time welding. Miller MIG 19.5-20.5 volts with 245 wire speed. So from the guys that don't suck what can I do to improve besides pratice. I think I got enough penetration on most of them. I did pratice on some box tubing and they passed the 90deg test.
FKCPW-DSCF0865.JPG

GUISG-DSCF08691.jpg

MTHYY-DSCF0867.JPG

DVEAP-DSCF0870.JPG

TIA

Yuky. Sorry I can't help. I think practice is the way to go. Just one of many possible non-constructive post. Hope you get it right though.

Im a noob at welding as well and when I started I used a piece of 3/8th plate (4" x 8") and ran beads on it. Concentrating on placement, speed, positions etc. That piece now weighs about 15lbs. As for bead placement when I start I usually have a little wire sticking out of the gun and use that to judge where I want i the bead to start and go from there. One of the most important things I have relalized is the position in which you hold the gun, tilted to far down and it will jump all over. I would suggest welding beads over and over until your comfortable then start on small projects!

TORX

I'm not a great welder, but I'm not bad either.

-clean the area realllly well
-use two hands. I use my right hand for trigger, and with my left hand I put my 4 fingers on the table, and use my thumb as an extra guide for the gun. This was probabaly the one biggest improvement for me. If this isn't a problem I'm going to say you're having a hard time seeing.
-in the 3rd pic you're losing gas...make sure the tip is clean, don't hold the nozzle too close, and don't hold it too far away, and try to keep a constant speed.
-it also doesn't LOOK (can't tell for sure) like you're getting much pentration in the d-ring mount. Turn the heat up all the way with a slower wire speed and make your crescents slower on the d-ring side, and a little faster on the bumper side. If it looks liek you're burning right through the metal, then good, you're getting in there, just adjust your movement speed a little as to not burn through the thinner stuff.

I was told to use the highest heat setting possible for anything, it may brun through occasionally, but it means it's really getting in there. I've been doing that, and I'm happy with the results

again, I don't "check" my welds, but with this, you can see how the edges of the welds flow right into the metal, rather than bubbling out. To me that's when you know you at least have some good pentration. Try to shoot for that.
170272_48_full.jpg

I hope my unprofessional tips can help a little.

_nicko_

It's more a problem of seeing then anything I think. I need to get some high X reading glasses and try it with those. I do run about a 1/4" of wire from the nozzle and one of the machines I was working with quit for some reason and I had to switch, might have been what was happening in the third pic. One side of the ring I went pretty slow and it started to undercut it. I also did quite a bit of grinding down and I wasn't finding any line or cold welds.

I've praticed on blocks, first time I welded was praticing on 1.25" 0.049" tubing used on our baja car. Did pretty good with those just have a problem keeping them straight and on spot. Thanks guys.

Weasel said:
I've praticed on blocks, first time I welded was praticing on 1.25" 0.049" tubing used on our baja car. Did pretty good with those just have a problem keeping them straight and on spot. Thanks guys.

that is not the stuff to learn to weld on...haha. If you can manipulate that, you should be able to do anything. I also do/did ( :( ) baja, and that tubing is not friendly. If a notch isn't perfect, your weld will be blowing through every second and look like poo.

Make sure you change the eye pieces on the helmet regularly. My brother loves letting them get dirty as hell, I don't know how he welds. I replace them as soon as I notice them getting dirty.

also might try a Harbor Freight auto darkening welding helmit - then there is no guessing where your hands are when you start welding...

More ambient light Ive found is very helpful for seeing whats going on after you have started the weld...

just thought of it, but I might not have been close enought to really see whats going on. I know I have a habit of pulling my head back a bit. How close do you stick your head? And can you have to slow a wire speed? I tend to find the recom. setting seems to fast and it piles the bead up, like above.

the stuff to learn welding on is the thin stuff.... in my welding class, we were handed some 24g metal....real thin..... a torch, and some filler metal, we didnt touch a mig until we could weld that stuff w/ the torch

id post some pics up of my welds but theyre on my phone and it doesnt take good pics....

I put my face pretty much as close as I can get...that's why I have to change the lenses so much. And with wire speed, I'm just so used to have it on around 35 with my hobart 175, I start with that speed for everything as I'm most comfortable with it, and usually keep it there. I just make up for it with how quickly I move it around. Who knows if that's a good way to do it, but I like it like that.

if you are having problems seeing. Either mover closer to where you are welding, or get a ligher shade glass for your helmet.

A welder is like a musical instrment. You have to tune it. Set your amps to the right heat setting. Then put one hand on the wire speed knob and the gun in the other had. Pull the trigger and move that wire knob back and forward a bunch. When you do this listen for when it makes the cleanest arcing sound. Make sure this is on a test piece and the same gage steel you will be welding.
Also the height that the tip will effects your welds. They call this the stick out. If the height is not consitent it will make a bad weld. The angle of the tip should be at 70 degerees to the side and 70 degree down. Never have the tip at a 90/90 angle. That might help you see better.

I have been welding a year and practicing the tips I got from real welders pays huge dividends .....creeper ....can you help me understand tuning...."the cleanest arcing sound"...no spatter noise....What else?

You should find your local VoTech school and take a class in "Welding I", it would be the best money you spend!! I know, I took the course. That was nice and all, but the real knowledge comes from experience after that. Ive welded for over 2 years professionally.... it takes some time, and hands-on-help from others that are better than you.

Most good welders are eager to help you get better (if there not a prick, which some are..), so ask for help too!

Good luck, and yes... your welds suck. :)

heres some bad pics, w/ my phone, of my O2 sensor bung, its welded with a flux core, hense the brown color and the splatter

Image(109).jpg

Image(111).jpg

You don' think they'll hold? When I was grinding a few of them down they seemed solid. Ugly though. Yeah the tube I was but welding was quite abit easier. Probably cause the machine was ssetup better and the piece was easy to work on. Suck leaning over a bumper. When I get a change I'll try whats been suggested and pratice more.

i dont know if theyll hold, i wouldnt trust them. drill a hole and throw a 1/2" grade 8 bolt in there, and youll be more than fine.

better to be safe than sorry

Back