• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a tow rig bad.

I have been using my boss's 89 f250 with the 460 to pull my 4K toyota on a flatbed for a little while now and it does OK, 8mph towing doing 45 up the grades. And i need my own rig, Im thinking a first gen dodge 1-ton cummins but it doesnt seem like theres very much aftermarket for them, so how do they pull in stock? Im sure its better then the big block gasser but id like to hear from somone with real experince. any advise?

The Cummins is great, too bad the rest of the truck falls apart. lol.

I like the latest get F150, 10k towing and it does it pretty easily.

You could try the F250, new or just keep the extra cash to maintain everything but the cummins in the dodge. I like them for towing but not for anything else really.

Find yourself a 1994-1997 F250-F350 7.3 OBS (old body style) Powerstroke.
You can find a nice one for $7-9k, gets pretty decent mileage, good aftermarket, sounds/looks mean, built like a freakin tank.

a few of my friend's all have cummins... the guys who do work to them all have problems, but they're fast as hell. they all drive like tanks (this is not a good thing, ever sit 4 hours in one with a trailer on the back? its not a comfy ride).

how many times do you plan on towing? how far? my buddy's dad's V8 F250 towed his XJ great (his cummins was broken, how ironic), and you can tow with a modern quarter ton easy, theyre half the price of a diesel, and comfy to DD every day.

if you have the money though, get a duramax. holy crap are those things nice.

I don't understand how people say that 1/4 Ton trucks are good for towing. If they were don't you think HotShot drivers would be using them? If you are buying a tow rig do it right the first time, get a diesel, whichever suits you and be done with it. I have a 2007 LBZ currently, owned a 2001 Cummins before that. The Dodge never fell apart or had any problems besides a fuel pump. Do research and pick which is best for you, there are a lot of people on here that give their $0.02 but have no experience owning one. Only their friends, dads, brothers, uncle had _insert truck_ and loves it.

I don't understand how people say that 1/4 Ton trucks are good for towing. If they were don't you think HotShot drivers would be using them? If you are buying a tow rig do it right the first time, get a diesel, whichever suits you and be done with it. I have a 2007 LBZ currently, owned a 2001 Cummins before that. The Dodge never fell apart or had any problems besides a fuel pump. Do research and pick which is best for you, there are a lot of people on here that give their $0.02 but have no experience owning one. Only their friends, dads, brothers, uncle had _insert truck_ and loves it.

Because the latest gen F150s tow 10k comfortably and easily probably.

Yes this will also be my daily driver. My trail rig is not street legal and i wheel atleast twice a month. Im thinkg a mids 80s chevy 454 now.

I wouldn't get a 3/4ton then. DDing a 3/4ton sucks.

And how big of a city do you live in? I live in Ottawa and trying to get through Ottawa traffic in ANY pickup is difficult nevermind when I had to drive a dually in traffic.

Then you need to clarify your blanket response.

Driving ANY fullsize pickup in a CITY sucks.

I've driven my 2001 Dodge CTD (2500 SRW) in Boston and I avoid it whenever I can.

Thats why I suggested a F150, My dad drives his daily to work in Montreal and I drove it several times through Ottawa with moderate annoyance in comparison to my car but was WAY better than the 3 car length blind spots in the Dually I drove on the same streets.

DD to me = Driving to work so i figured it didnt require any explanation, my bad.

Some people don't drive through cities to get to work...just FYI.

I drive on a highway then a main road. I don't think I've driven through Boston in at least a few months now.

If you do not get a 3/4 ton diesel to tow a 4,000 lb Jeep, you will die.
I know you were kidding, but it doesn't have to be a diesel. Plenty of people tow with things they shouldn't.
A 3/4ton gas is leaps and bounds over any 1/2ton. Its not just the Jeep either, the trailer, spare parts, etc all add up quick.
Because the latest gen F150s tow 10k comfortably and easily probably.
IMO, very wrong. Is the rating that high? Sure. Does it mean you should do it? Heck no. Does the factory hitch even support that? I doubt it.
Coming from a 1/2ton to a 3/4ton maybe a HUGE difference. I'll never own another 1/2ton.

My buddy with a late model 4x4, 5.4L, F150, tow package (whatever that's worth) can hardly tow a 4.5K lbs tractor on a 2k lbs trailer (~6.5k combined). I sure wouldn't want to try to tow a Jeep and spare parts with it.

I went from a 5.3L 1500 Silverado to a 6.6L LBZ Duramax 2500HD Silverado. There is no comparison, they are in different leagues. Comparing a 1/2ton to a 3/4 or 1 ton is like comparing Tee Ball to MLB. Sure my 1500 did alright, but I feel safer, in more control, and comfortable in the 2500HD.

I wouldn't get a 3/4ton then. DDing a 3/4ton sucks.
Could have fooled me, I've got no issues.
Driving ANY fullsize pickup in a CITY sucks.
Exactly. That's a whole different argument.

I daily drove my 5 ton pickup for a while with no real issues, even crowded intersections weren't bad, probably because people got out of the way.

That being said, a 3/4 ton would be better on gas

I know you were kidding, but it doesn't have to be a diesel. Plenty of people tow with things they shouldn't.
A 3/4ton gas is leaps and bounds over any 1/2ton. Its not just the Jeep either, the trailer, spare parts, etc all add up quick.
IMO, very wrong. Is the rating that high? Sure. Does it mean you should do it? Heck no. Does the factory hitch even support that? I doubt it.
Coming from a 1/2ton to a 3/4ton maybe a HUGE difference. I'll never own another 1/2ton.

My buddy with a late model 4x4, 5.4L, F150, tow package (whatever that's worth) can hardly tow a 4.5K lbs tractor on a 2k lbs trailer (~6.5k combined). I sure wouldn't want to try to tow a Jeep and spare parts with it.

I went from a 5.3L 1500 Silverado to a 6.6L LBZ Duramax 2500HD Silverado. There is no comparison, they are in different leagues. Comparing a 1/2ton to a 3/4 or 1 ton is like comparing Tee Ball to MLB. Sure my 1500 did alright, but I feel safer, in more control, and comfortable in the 2500HD.

Could have fooled me, I've got no issues.
Exactly. That's a whole different argument.

My dads hitch covers 10k that they put on at the dealer. I towed my Jeep just fine and its well within legal limits.

I towed my XJ just fine on a trailer and I know many guys who tow with them, the trailer sway control, trailer brakes and the 5.4V8 make quick work of a sub 10k load.

If you're towing a hummer then yeah, skip the F150 but the guy is towing a damn XJ which are nothing for the F150.

My next vehicle will probably be an 08 or 09 F150 for a DD/tow vehicle and I'm 100% comfortable with them after towing my XJ with my dads and towing his boat.

Boat fully loaded on trail is around 8000lbs, XJ fully loaded on the trailer is about 6500. Both the F150 handled with ease.

And btw yes the tow rating is 10k.

Back