• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Increased My XJ Gas Mileage To Over 20 MPG

StylerG said:
i was reading this, got really excited, and then realized my 2000 doesnt get a new distributor or wires because its all a rail that cost $$$$$ to replace, im very happy you have to replace all that stuff

what he doesn't mention is that he's running 215/75/R15's.

Ok, i have a 99 with 31s and i just moved to colorado. My milage in michigan was 15ish and now i am getting around 21. I switched to premium when i pulled the trailer out here, i tried a tank of the 85 oct and the milage and acceration was horrible so i have just been doing premium and everything is great. i might have to do a tune up soon, its due, maybe i will get over 30... probably not....

I put a TB spacer, a banks header, high flow cat plus a IMCO(it's got baffles like a flowmaster but not quite the same sound) muffler and got an increase of about 5 MPG lifted 2 and a half inches running 30 inch M/T's. I would get more, but I just can't get my foot off the gas pedal long enough to... Oh crap, who am I trying to kid here. I like the new grunt out of my inline 6. It makes it jump out of the mud holes and scares the ricers when I gun-it. Hehehe.............

Phil

flyingphil said:
but I just can't get my foot off the gas pedal long enough to... Oh crap, who am I trying to kid here. I like the new grunt out of my inline 6. It makes it jump out of the mud holes and scares the ricers when I gun-it. Hehehe.............

Phil
Same with running no muffler.

I've started running 93 octane to get rid of det/pre-ig. and now I'm getting about 60 more miles out of a tank of gas. so the extra cost of the fuel actually, almost equals out in the end, but with more power when needed and no det/pre-ig.

wow, how impressive. you increased your gas mileage by replacing all the old stuff in your jeep? hmmm, I'll have to consider that when I do my next tune up.......and to think, all these years I've just been cleaning and reusing my plugs and distributer. or maybe my crappy mileage comes from being nearly a foot higher in the air and the overly large 35 inch tall tires making a barn move down the highway at around 80mph....

i think i will do all that just to get a few more mpg in a jeep that was built to not get good gas milage.

by the way i see you don't post here much and you recently joined. so i think i will be the nice one and say.

WELCOME TO NAXJA!!!

P.S. post 123! its sequential

lrsmithwhaley said:
Same with running no muffler.

x2. The easiest, cheapest way to get a better sounding rig. Been told mine sounds like it's running a 40 series.

Well you guys think it's funny for me to share my success. I've done a stock parts tune up before on my xj and continued to get the stock gas mileage of 15mpg. I just thought you guys might be interested in the results of just spending a few extra bucks. By the way I didn't need to increase the octane on the gas. I was still going over 20mpg using 87.

That's right, guys! Kill the guy for sharing. Way to go.

Hey man, good job on the wiring upgrade and finding the best parts you could at a good price too. Kudo's.

imma honky said:
I farted one time and it increased my speed by about 10 MPH. :passgas:

Lol thats hilarious :laugh2:

Good job
I too am looking forward to upgrading my wiring and noticed an increase in MPG with the rest of tune up stuff I did. :repair:

My XJ still had the stock plugs and wires w/110,000. Talk about a serious plug gap, the plugs were wore to where the electrode was at the porcelin.

Last edited:
You'd probably do even better with stock style plugs in there, the jeep engine doesn't like the platinums too much, especially the multi-spark units.

Dvipercop said:
x2. The easiest, cheapest way to get a better sounding rig. Been told mine sounds like it's running a 40 series.
The only downside is I keep getting flipped off, by chicks talking on their cell phone with their window down as I accelerate past them.
haha.gif

I get 19 mpg on 87 octane and 22 mpg on 91. congrats on a good tune up but umm come see what you get driving the 15 north on the big hill every day. My biggest increase came from a tried and true method .... not speeding

i am rocken a killer never before seen milage of 7 per gallon + or - 2 miles with the chevey small block mercury boat motor out of my dads boat ( he got a 500 hp aluminium one to replace this 350 hp steel one ) but i can set off car alarms without farting :passgas: and smoke the 35" mt's ( front and rear ) on dry pavement and i only run 87 octain, can you imagin that?:confused1

on the serrious side, that sounds like a good tune up and we all should be as thourough as you were and i never really thought about the wireing helping that much, i think i may do some rewireing of my own.

lrsmithwhaley said:
The only downside is I keep getting flipped off, by chicks talking on their cell phone with their window down as I accelerate past them.

That's a downside? I consider that part of the perks... along with setting off car alarms in parking garages. :D

Dvipercop said:
people tell me mine sounds like ass, could be the giant crack all the way around the header though:D

Back