• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To: Build your own 4.0L turbo Cummins (Beware...170+ pics)

Probably a big NO! You would want equal length long primary tubes to get good hp&tq.

Lol the differenced between #1 and #5 cylinder and way too substantial, it would flow like garbage. I'd be interested in seeing just how much power would actually be lost...

BUMP fo sum updates!

I recently did a long overdue cooling system overhaul, as well as several other upgrades.

On the list:

Thermo housing
water pump
3 core all aluminum radiator (champion) 7 out of 10 BTW
All new hoses
fan clutch
Timing chain
dampener
valve cover gasket
BD Pass side super mount
BD poly bushings to replace the cracked rubber

I can now cruise around in boost at a stable 195deg. Before, powering up a hill on a hot day in boost would cause it to slowly start to overheat. The 3 core has a lot more fluid capacity than the stock 2 core not to mention a fairly substantial increase in surface area.

The timing chain also had over a 1/2" of slack so it was due for a replacement. I'm glad I checked as well as I found one of the timing cover bolts had backed out and was pushing on the dampener. I'm sure the thrust bearings we're loving that.

I still have some more work needed until I can go dyno and send it down the 1/4 but it's slowly getting there!

I still need to:
Build a cat "test tube"
replace the composite felpro intake/exhaust manifold gasket with a multilayer SS victor reinz.
New oil drain line
chase down an annoying vaccum leak
replace the trans filter/fluid swap
finish my chromoly sway bar
replace a front inner axle seal thats leaking
weld in some prototype front upper shock mounts

Pix's...

Can you tell I daily drive it? lol :thumbup:
2012-06-03114536.jpg

2012-06-01183023.jpg

2012-06-011826321.jpg

2012-06-03114425.jpg

2012-06-03114443.jpg

Saw you blast out of the light on Terry lake and College a couple days ago and it made me very happy inside. Its definitely making me debate between going LS swap or turbo stroker. Rig looks great with the bumpers back on.
Lightfoot

!

Why was the champion radiator a 7 out of 10? What brand timing set did you go with?

The welds we're crap, several of the tabs we're bent up, and it had a pin hole leak that required removing and welding. But for the $ I wasn't expecting a 10 so overall I'm happy.

As for the timing chain I used a Cloyes stock replacement.

Saw you blast out of the light on Terry lake and College a couple days ago and it made me very happy inside. Its definitely making me debate between going LS swap or turbo stroker. Rig looks great with the bumpers back on.
Lightfoot

Thanks! I blast out of that light daily. I manage the fabrication department for Rocky Mountain Westy on the corner there. :thumbup:

I was guessing you either worked there, or shared a shop. I live only about a mile up route one so I see your jeep pretty often flexed out on the hill. The wheels give it away. This was the first time I really got to hear the turbo though. Very cool.
Out of curiosity, if you could manage to fit the manifold, do you think there would be any significant benefit to setting up a twin scroll system in a jeep? I don't know a lot about turbos so that might be a stupid question, but I have been wondering for a while.

Great pic of the manifold. I wish you would move the turbo flange forward 4-5" and build the motor mount around the turbo and not the turbo around the motor mount. Motor mounts are about the easiest fabrication project. If the motor mount was lower out of the way then the turbo can be more centered on the manifold and the turbo intake would have a straighter/cleaner path and the down pipe would have more room to make the bend down. Just thinking out loud what version #2 could be like.

Great pic of the manifold. I wish you would move the turbo flange forward 4-5" and build the motor mount around the turbo and not the turbo around the motor mount. Motor mounts are about the easiest fabrication project. If the motor mount was lower out of the way then the turbo can be more centered on the manifold and the turbo intake would have a straighter/cleaner path and the down pipe would have more room to make the bend down. Just thinking out loud what version #2 could be like.

Thanks for the input! I love to hear new ideas. I have something up my sleeve though for V2.0

It is going to take some time, but we are actually working on a specific kit for the XJ (should work for TJ's/ZJ's/WJ's as well). The turbo position may change, but we will more than likely keep the engine mount stock. We will have a specific compressor housing along with a fabricated Alum intake tube as well as a specific down pipe. The turbo will more than likely be internally gated. For now however, the manifold will stay the same. The full kit will be getting mocked up in solidworks along with getting the full stress and flow analysis to ensure everything works in harmony.

I'm planning on reworking the motor mount on mine. It's easy enough to get in there, with the fenders off.

I am pleased with the location of the turbo on the manifold. Any further forward & it will get in the way of even more stuff.

if you ever want to sponsor a slammed street XJ with full time 4x4 hit me up :eyes: I've been itching to drop mine and could use the excuse lol

This gives me all sorts of feeling inside that I can't express here at work:shhh::party::yelclap:

Can't wait to see the final product. I just hope it doesn't cost more than how much I paid for my truck :gee:

Boostwerks-
How does your MAP sensor do when it see boost? It is only a 1 bar map sensor. What reading soes it send to the ecu under boost?
How do you stay in open loop when under boost? Do you control/limit the O2 sensor?
What is your IAT? under boost, as read by the OBD?

Back