• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Holding onto rear axle

asymptonic

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Getting my rear axle rebuilt, but want to hang onto the old one for a rebuild as a spare but don't have the cash to do it right away. I admit I'm getting to be a pack rat on this but don't want to let the old rear go.
So question is how do I hang on to the old one without it rusting etc. Pretty sure I'm going to get it back as is, but doubt I should degrease it etc. What's the best way to prep it to store it for a couple of years until I can rebuild it and then even after keep it longer term as a spare.

Not that it doesn't apply to other configs but 8.25/3.07.

Store it as parts, storing it assemble will just take on humidity and eventually rust on the inside! Coat it with cosmoline.

Y'all are funny. Just keep it dry, and off the dirt.

Unless the DOT in TX uses road salt to melt the snow, it isn't going to rust. I have bought a handful of late 1980's XJ D44. Most them sat in somebody's yard in Minnesota for years on end before they got to the junkyard. Some LPS-3 or Black Bear Par-Al-Ketone inside would prevent rust for long term storage a bit better than gear oil.

I have to say that my experience is that a freshly built axle will rust if you don't take measures to protect it. At least that was my experience in San Diego. The axle was under the vehicle, but did not have oil in it. Everything in the pumpkin rusted. I now keep that axle as a spare, but I don't have faith in it for a daily driver.

Back