• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help. Tc wont shift

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So the tc shifted perfect when we put it in. But now it will only do 2h and half way to 4h. It makes no sense.

I assume when you say it shifted fine, that was out of the rig, reassembled on the bench?

Sometimes the internals can get bound up, and it takes a bit of force to move everything inside around. The last case I did a 2Low on didn't want to shift easily at all. We ended up using a large 18" crescent wrench to finally get enough leverage to shift through the options. Try spinning the outputs to help synchronize while trying to shift.

Also, make sure you also have the shift linkage installed correctly. There's the linkage tab on the side of the case (held on with 9/16) that can be installed 180 off. Should point up if I remember correctly.

Lastly, being a 97' your case shouldn't have this issue, but sometimes you need to trim 1" off the shift rail. Otherwise it bottoms out on the new tail housing. Pull the plug off the tail housing, and have someone shift while you watch to see if it's making contact.

Also, make sure you also have the shift linkage installed correctly. There's the linkage tab on the side of the case (held on with 9/16) that can be installed 180 off. Should point up if I remember correctly.
This is where "I" would start..

The shift rail is contacting the side of the cavity. Can i just make it bigger or do i really need to cut The rail?

y4ejesa6.jpg

The shift rail is contacting the side of the cavity. Can i just make it bigger or do i really need to cut The rail?
If it's binding on sides, cutting it won't make a difference. Try "clocking" the tail housing just a bit to bring the rail off the side of the tail housing. I had a similar issue one time, and found that there was just enough play in the tail housing bolt holes that you had to make sure the rail was centered in the tail housing slot. My rail was getting caught up on the sides preventing it from releasing back into two wheel drive.

Hope this makes sense.

Ya it makes sense. I tried but there was no play, i trimmed the hole. It works perfect on the bench. Ill let you know after i get it back in

Back