• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP problems w/ rear brake line

PFunk242

NAXJA Member #1161
Well i got a YJ rear brake line for my XJ just dove under the thing to swap the lines. At some point the PO must have atempted to do some work on the rear line or something. Because allmost all of the fittings are rounded off. I was able to get the pass side hard line off of the ruber line and i was able to get the drivers side line off of the drum but i can't get the rubber line off of the frame. is there a good way to possibly cut the line off of the bracket and put a small section of new line between the old hard line and the new soft line. I will then also have to have a new drivers side hard line made but that isn't a big deal.

Quick responces would be appreshated.

Thanks
Fenton Beech

PFunk242 said:
is there a good way to possibly cut the line off of the bracket and put a small section of new line between the old hard line and the new soft line. I will then also have to have a new drivers side hard line made but that isn't a big deal.
There is a way, but you'll have to decide it it's a "good" way. You'll need to cut the hard line as neatly as you can, slip a new (or good used) fitting over it, and then do a new double flare. Caution -- be sure you have a GOOD double flare tool. I have a good one but it wouldn't fit in that location. Picked up a cheapie that fit, but the clamping bar wouldn't clamp tight enough to hold the line while making the flare. What should have been a 5-minute job became a PITA that took over an hour.

If you are new to this, the answer is yes, you must do a DOUBLE flare when working on brake lines.

In addition to Eagle's comment,you need a "quality" flare nut wrench for brakeline work!Also it maybe to late but I just had this same problem on my 95,I used a propane torch to heat the "body" of the fitting,they alll broke loose after that!

if it helps at all i beleive napa sells pre made lengths of hard line that could be used to make a new line from the t-fitting to the drum and they also sell DOT approved (for lack of better word) compression fittings. if you dont' have access to a flair tool

ps i beleive auto zone rents tools if you dont' have the flair tool.

I had the same problem trying to get my stock line off to put the rubicon exp. line on. I gave up and took it to a local mechanic. He only charged me 20 bucks to install it. I didn't wanna buy flare nut wrenches and I wanted it done right. Just a thought. He bled the brakes also.

Back