• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!!! Bleeding brakes

Go to any parts store and get some "speedy bleeders". These are new bleeder valves that are one-way valves. They let fluid out, but don't let air in. I switch the stock bleeder valves out for these, put a hose on them and run them to an empty soda bottle, then pump the brakes while watching the MC through the crack in the hood. Fill MC as necessary.

I've also gravity-bled brakes with much sucess. This is actually my preferred method.

jonboy said:
Sounds like you installed your left caliper on the right side and visa-versa. The bleeders should always be on the top. Don't feel too bad, it's a pretty common mistake.

R&R the calipers to the correct side of the vehicle and then bleed, you should be OK after that.

One of these make quick work bleeding/flushing brake systems.
http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html

Why didn't you post yesterday!!! I can't believe I am such a F#%%*%# moron. They are backwards. My hoses are poking down. One side is kind of out of the way, but I don't like the other. I figured it was ok for stock stuff. The Isuzu 44 was spring under though. I was looking at it to swap and I'm thinking the hoses might rub on my leaf springs. It is kind of close. Not sure if I will change or not. Thanks for the catch, you get the gold star!!!

I bench bled my MC. Not sure if there was air, could have been my setup. It's done though. There was a ton of air in my pass rear. The one I was doing when I sucked in air. Did the old school bleed w/ wife. 3 quarts later, I have brakes again!!!!!! Woohoo. Thanks everyone for your help.

Props to Led. He is from this board, but local to me, so I gave him a call. He is the first to ask if my bleeders were on the bottom. NAXJA ROCKS! Thanks again everyone.

sycho15 said:
Go to any parts store and get some "speedy bleeders". These are new bleeder valves that are one-way valves. They let fluid out, but don't let air in. I switch the stock bleeder valves out for these, put a hose on them and run them to an empty soda bottle, then pump the brakes while watching the MC through the crack in the hood. Fill MC as necessary.

I've also gravity-bled brakes with much sucess. This is actually my preferred method.

Speed bleeders do work great. Ive only been able to find them at Pep Boys though, you never know when you will need to bleed the breaks on the trail by yourself.

If you went from rear drums to discs you might want to buy a 68 corvette MC for an even firmer pedal, they are like 40 bucks at Pep Boys. Disc calipers use more fluid than drums and Corvettes MC bolts on and is designed for 4 wheel discs. Use an adjustable proportioning valve so that your rears lock up right AFTER the fronts. I did mine at Tierra Del Sol in about 45 minutes, so its an easy fix. Search and you shal find a wealth of knowledge on this subject.

And dont worry about the Calipers being upside down. The previous owner installed my clutch Slave upside down and I had the same problem.

Back