• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header questions

flazz85

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Banks header I am going to install on my rig soon, doing it in tandem with the head gasket, so it will be fun for a novice wrench like myself, but I have faith. Anyways I have a few questions on ceramic coatings, I did not want to pirate Rckstartv's thread so I started this one for a few pieces of advice. With ceramic coatings, are they all the same? Is Jet-hot a place where I can straight up send them my banks header? I only ask because I am having problems getting onto their website, google and my security software go beserk every time I try and join their site stating they have malware out the ass. Anyone know of any other decent ceramic coating suppliers? Also if i wanted to go the cheaper route, are there any good paints you guys know of, hypothetically lets say I paint the header in a high heat paint, then wrap it, then paint it again, would you say I could get away with it? Also, I bought a magnaflow catalytic converter and cat-back system. On another thread I saw that Joe-Peters had stated that to prevent your header from cracking you want to add a flex pipe (http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=FLEXPIPE-250x8-E), so where does the flex pipe exactly go? can I add it right before the cat meets the up pipe? I was going to grab this up pipe (http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Jeep/Cherokee/Walker/Front_Pipe/1998/WK55277.html?ptc=S1171391678W45d204bec356b&ptwajeepcherokee19961999walkerwk55277198frpi) to synch the header to the magnaflow parts but if the flexpipe goes further up, Im wondering what to do. :roll:

Also, I know it seems to be a waste but I was probably going to wrap the whole exhaust so that it lasts me awhile, Here in NJ they salt even when flurries come down. Anybody wrap their exhaust up? If so how well has it lasted? Thanks for any advice guys.

I wouldn't wrap your whole exhaust- if it isn't stainless steel the wrap will trap water and dirt and cause it to rust faster. If it is stainless steel (as my Borla was) it will last virtually forever. Heat shields would be better if you're trying to reduce heat into the cabin of the vehicle.

As for the header, I've heard that wraping it will reduce heat in the engine bay. My opinion is that it's only needed if you're going to really be racing the engine alot. For a DD or moderate trail rider it probably isn't necessary. IMO

I just installed a header, a tri wye I got from Rock auto. I had sent it to QC Coatings in Detroit. It was worth it in my opinion. did the inside and outside. It is supposed to help with under hood temps as well as rust protection.

I wouldn't wrap your whole exhaust- if it isn't stainless steel the wrap will trap water and dirt and cause it to rust faster.

X2 , Magnaflow makes a quallity product, as long as it's stainless it should last. I wouldn't wrap the header either, the heat trapped could cause the header to warp and crack. Replacing the stock motor mounts with a bushing style, Brown Dog, M.O.R.E., etc., will reduce engine movement which is a factor in header failure. Then weld in the flex below the header in the down pipe and use stainless hardware and you should be good.

Thanks for the input guys, motor mounts is definitely a possibility, i just want to get it in there already the anticipation is killing me!:D

Back