• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Noise (video)

Yeah, I joke around that it is a diesel but doesn't have the nice torque a diesel has.

I will try to run a thicker oil next oil change. worst case scenario in a year or so I will pull the head and rebuild it.

Try seafoaming the engine. 5w-50 castrol syntec was also the ONLY oil that would stop lifter tick in my miata when it still had the 4 cylinder in it. Mobil 1 failed, Valvaline synthetic failed, and a few others did also. They syntec silenced it for about 2500 (HARD) miles before needing an oil change again.

get a vacuum gauge and run a vac test....as you know this will tell you much about your valvetrain....depending on what kind of dance the needle on the gauge is doing.
Based on what i heard in your video you can probably rule out a lifter.....a stuck/collasped lifter will make a higher pitched tick almost like an exhaust leak(ask me how I know).You have almost a rod knock sound there but im leaning toward piston/wrist pin noise....

I would also do a compression test......
To me this really sounds like too much piston clearance,I.E piston slap.....hell could even be a bad wrist pin....letting the piston(s) rock in the bore and slap against the cylinder...:lecture:

Should do another video with the motor being reved and held for further diagnosis.....
I just listened to that video again....could it be spark knock(preignition)???

Last edited:
get a vacuum gauge and run a vac test....as you know this will tell you much about your valvetrain....depending on what kind of dance the needle on the gauge is doing.
Based on what i heard in your video you can probably rule out a lifter.....a stuck/collasped lifter will make a higher pitched tick almost like an exhaust leak(ask me how I know).You have almost a rod knock sound there but im leaning toward piston/wrist pin noise....

I would also do a compression test......
To me this really sounds like too much piston clearance,I.E piston slap.....hell could even be a bad wrist pin....letting the piston(s) rock in the bore and slap against the cylinder...:lecture:

Should do another video with the motor being reved and held for further diagnosis.....
I just listened to that video again....could it be spark knock(preignition)???

Definitely not rod knock. Trust me, unfortunately I am all too familiar with that sound. doesnt sound like piston slap, but I will do those checks and see what they say. Thank you...

I could be wrong...

Back