• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head gasket doesn't match up

ParkCityXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm replacing my head gasket tonight and I get the head off and look at the old gasket and new gasket. They match up just fine. However, neither of them match up with the coolant ports on the head or the block. Both gaskets have a few small circles that match up with some of the coolant ports, but the block and head have several more ports that are triangular in shape. I can see where crud had built up on the old gasket where these triangular holes are but there wasn't anything going through there. I have had this xj for about five years and have always had a bit of an overheating problem. Anyone seen this before? I don't know if I should modify the new gasket to match the ports or what. I think I'll stop by the dealer in the morning and see if they have any words of wisdom. BTW '90 cherokee with the 4.0L. I know this is right in the transition period between AMC and Chrystler, could that have something to do with it??

Back