• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone ever swapped any type of diesel engine into a XJ?

I know that this is way out of the norm and due to the rarety of the engines it will not work for everyone, but I am building an 86 XJ Wagoneer Diesel.
I have a 4.3L Diesel powered Olds Cutlass. It runs great and has good power. I have done much research and discovered that with some minor mods it will bolt up to the stock 84-86 Jeeps that had the GM 2.8L.
I figure that even though this engine is no power house it is 4.3L! The factory diesel was only 2.1L. The 4.3L is old school tech and has no turbo, but it is not prone to the problems of the turbo motors.
I am getting the Jeep from a local guy and will have it home this next week. I hope to start the conversion soon. I will try to take as many pictures as I can and update you all as it progresses.
In the end I should have a Jeep that gets 25-30 MPG and has at least the power of the original 2.8L gas motor if not more, plus a lot more torque.
After this thing is running good I will install my Veggie oil conversion. I will no longer care about the price of fuel, it will run on free fuel:firedevil

Aw MAN! I have always wanted a 4.3 diesel! The 4.3 gasser is my favorite GM motor, and if I could find a diesel 4.3..... what year's were they avail and in what models? Any spec #'s?

The 4.3L diesel was available in the RWD GMs during the late 80's and had the BOP RWD bolt pattern. It was also availble in the 82-85 GM FWD cars. Mine is currently in a 84 Olds Cutlass Ciera. These have the FWD bellhousing bolt pattern.
Now, keep in mind that these are not the same block as the 4.3L Gasser, it is a cut down of the 350/5.7L Olds Diesel of the 80's. It is cut down in the same way the 4.3L in a cut down of the 350 gas engine.
Finding these engines is hard, not too many left out there to be had.

I cannot search on Pirate but there was a TOTM that covered this and the 4BT was mentioned quite a few times.

If I remember, I have the link saved as a favorite at the house and I will post it up.

Ohh, I like this post! I am working on putting a Mercedes 300 td in my 93 2 door XJ. I am adapting it to work with the AX-15 tranny because I didnt want the mercedes tranny. I recently got the jeep flywheel back from the machine shop with it filled/redrilled to bolt to the 300td crank. Now I have to build an adapter to mate the engine and tranny.

I posted this in a previous thread, but here's an idea. Mitsubishi made a 2.3L turbodiesel (4D55) that was used in some Ford Rangers, Mitsubishi pick-ups, and Dodge RAM 50's. It will bolt up to a Mitusbishi automatic (KM148) which will bolt up to an NP 231 Tcase with, IIRC, a long 23 spline input shaft. If you want more power, you can import a 4D56, which was a 2.5L. It would bolt up the same as the 2.3L.

seanR said:
A 6-71 Detroit is the way to go!
The best thing about them is they are quiet, very little smoke, and they don't leak!

LMAO. Um yeah, and they always stay in tune and are really fuel efficient, right? :D :D :D

Tribal4x4 said:
I want to know when the new crd will be available to buy without the jeep attatched. Anyone have any ideas??

As of '07, the CRD in the Liberty is discontinued.

There adds show they are putting in some new diesel, suposded to be the cleanest off road vehical. I am wondering if it will get a Mercedis diesel.

There is a thread in Non-tech I started about a month ago. It is only in the WK, not the KJ.

I had a 1980-something Chevy pick-up with the 4.3 diesel. It was easy to work on in the Chevy engine compartment, it needed a tranny cooler just to go up big hills with a load in the back, though.

GM used to make a 263 ci diesel V6 Buick engine, I think?? Might have been fwd.

Back