• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ground Hawg reviews, opinions, experience?

mcantar18c

NAXJA Forum User
The only info I can find on these things is product descriptions on vendor's sites that make em sound like the best tires on the planet :rolleyes:
From the lack of reviews and whatnot on the boards, I suppose this isn't a very popular tire... anybody here have experience with em? I found a set of Ground Hawg muds for super cheap, I'm for sure gonna buy them (they're 1/3 the price of every other set of tires in this size on Craigslist), I'm just wondering what to expect out of them as far as tread life, traction, etc.

They wear really good, but like you said aren't a very popular tire anymore. Plenty of better stuff out there. I guess if you get them cheap enough, groove them up to improve traction. My buddy has run them on a fullsize in 38 and 40s. The 40s are big and wide, which the terrain where I am and where you are, are quite different...hes had decent luck with them here.

I know there's better stuff out there, and if I had the coin I'd go for some MTR Kevlars.... but $500 for a set of 40's with decent tread is hard to say no to.

if i was building a jeep capable of running 40's. i wouldnt skimp out on one of the more important parts of the rig.

maybe to get you rolling and on the trails they arent a bad investment. but i wouldnt plan on keeping them.

they are simply outdated, ya dont see them often, but when i do i am always very dissapointed.

When I see groundhawgs I instantly assume the driver is an ignorant redneck. It's a very popular tire in that crowd.

if i was building a jeep capable of running 40's. i wouldnt skimp out on one of the more important parts of the rig.

maybe to get you rolling and on the trails they arent a bad investment. but i wouldnt plan on keeping them.

The goal is to get me rolling and on the trails, so I think its a good buy. And I have to disagree with you here... if there's one part of the rig to go cheap on, its the tires. They're a wearable part so its not like you're making a huge commitment anyway, and they're easier to change/replace than any other part of the rig.

When I see groundhawgs I instantly assume the driver is an ignorant redneck. It's a very popular tire in that crowd.

I've been called an ignorant redneck before, so I guess its ok for me to run em:D

They are a very hard compound which makes them last a while on the road and can take some abuse but they do not grip well on rocks and really loose soil. You can expect them to run like hell when going forward in the mud but if u get stuck going forward you probably wont be able to back out due to the directional nature of the tire. You can groove them to improve the flexibility and traction of them on the rocks, but you will be thoroughly disappointed if you ever expect them to really hook up in anything but mud. If your going to be running much on the road, they would make a good trail/road tire for that size and price. I wouldnt even consider them if your going to trailer your rig. I would say that they are comparable to a bogger as far as traction on the rocks, but a bogger will get you further in the mud.

The comment about if your building a rig capable of running 40's i totally agree with. Your more than likely putting a lot of time, thought, and money into your rig. Why not allow it to run at its full or nearest full potential as you can. I'm not saying go with a set of Creepys but a set of Grooved TSL's or an Irok would be a huge step up from a Ground Hawg and are relatively cheap. Running a set of ground hawgs on a rig like your talking about would be like running your rig with open diffs...

And I have to disagree with you here... if there's one part of the rig to go cheap on, its the tires. They're a wearable part so its not like you're making a huge commitment anyway, and they're easier to change/replace than any other part of the rig.

Better tires = better traction

Why would this be something to cheap out on...?

I can understand wanting to get on the trails ASAP though. I'd agree with Sam on this one.

I have a set of 28 inch "Baby Hawgs" that came on a totaled XJ i bought. I run them on whatever beater i own as a joke.

But in all seriousness, 1987 called and they want their tires back.

yeaaa

imo tire choice is a pretty crucial part of a buildup.

a bad set of tires can make you hate life out on the trail.

Well, dude finally called back, sold em the day before I called.

Next cheapest set on CL is a set of 90% Kevlars for $1200... they're only 13.5 wide though, seems a little skinny for 40s.

Find a set of Gumbo Monster Mudders instead

they are simply outdated, ya dont see them often, but when i do i am always very dissapointed.
X2, they ride like ass

Back