• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand cherokee V8 5.2 same mpg as the I6 4.0???

the 5.2 Grand comes equipped from the factory with the Tornado air management system.

nuff said

It wouldn't surpise me, but I haven't seen any hard facts on it. Just like in actual usage the Chevy's with the 350 get the same or better mileage than the 4.3 or 305.

*ON TOPIC BUT NOT XJ RELATED*
When I switched out my 196 4 cylinder motor for a 345 V8 I actually got about a 2 mpg improvement. Both motors were in excellent tune, and in good condition so I can't blame it on a tired old motor. With the V8 I didn't have to floor it all the time to accelerate and at cruise speeds the engine didn't have to work at all.

Johnnybegood_5 said:
Wow eh, i guess it makes sence since ur not pushing the petal to the floor. Is that tornado thing something to do with the air intake or alot more than that??

The tornado is a cut up coke can that a company sells to insert into your intake to improve power and mileage. They are junk.

Sarcasm doesn't come across well on forums. :wave1:

Well, consider this.

The grands are a bit heavier, the 4.0L has to work somewhat harder than the 5.2L to move the vehicle. If the engine is not working as hard, its not using as much fuel.

Granted, if you drove it like you stole it, or wheeled the crap out of it, the mileage would likely be much worse.

Yes my friends 95 ZJ with the 5.2 does get as good and now better milage (thanks to intake/muffler upgrades).

I have a 5.2

I get 10 mpg on the trail. On a really good day with a strong tailwind I can get 14 mpg on the highway. It's a Jeep and I didn't buy it for mpg.

Most of the guys on nagca.com talk about better numbers, but I don't believe it.

Johnnybegood_5 said:
I have read some posts that the grand cherokee with the 5.2 V8 gets the same mpg as the 4.0 I6. Does anyone have any info on this if its true or not??

No, period, end of story.....

Wifey gets about 14 mpg, on a really good day.

My MJ gets about 21-23 with a 4.0l, manual tranny and about 1000 lbs of tools.

My girlfriend has the 5.9 and it gets 13-14 mpg.

j99xj said:
It's all driving habits.

Tell that to my wife. Same vehicle, same drive I'll get 10-15% better mileage than she does. She's getting better, but I still have some work to do on her. :cool:

I check my mileage with every fillup. My '99 WJ with 4.7 gets 12mpg around town every day and 18 on long trips. My '93 & '98 XJ's with 4.0's get 14around town and 17 on long trips. As stated above, it's all about how you drive. I don't do this stuff, but here you go http://www.hypermiling.com/

I get about 16-17 city, and 20-21 highway (75-85 mph passing people every now and then).

But I have achieved 24 mpg with the cruise control on at 55 mph.

All in all, not bad, not bad at all. -Ronald Reagan

sjx40250 said:
No. My 4.0 in my ZJ got 22MPG. I have never heard of anyone getting better than 16 or 17. The 4.7 in the WJ will get 20.
X2

My mother has a 97ZJ 4.0ltr anywhere between 20-23 on the highway. One of my friends has a 98 5.2ltr it gets anywhere between 14-17 on the highway. Now on top of that my mothers ZJ has pretty damn decent breaks, and handles like you would expect. My friends ZJ while the 5.2 has some of the shittiest breaks I've come across, and handles like a overloaded boat. Damn thing runs good though!

I just drove 2000 miles from Maine to Louisiana and avg over 19MPG and that was driving 75-80 most of the way for as long as 4-41/2 hours without stopping. got to love that I-6 dependability

Back