• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gotta love IT...

And that's the reason right there why I will never have a Dell Server in my Data Center...Full HP shop here and couldn't be happier...Just my .02
Please tell me you're not relying on Proliant servers.......

Sure am...We have 80 or so in operation and have no major issues...sure an occasional drive failure every now and then, but other than that...completely stable and reliable

Lol, I have nothing but IBM/cisco appliances, I have had bad times with HP hardware. We could have ourselves a nice little Ford vs Chevy style
internet geek battle.

That said I am proud to be one of the few IT geeks who goes to meetings with Mechanic hands!

Sun seems to have the best support, even up here in the boonies we get a tech here in under an hour with all the parts needed up to and including a complete server on the smaller models, obviously he does not carry any 5 of 10K's around but it works out nice, second is HP, 2 hours and someone is here, Dell, forget about it, they send up a parts delivery guy from philly with parts THEN you call and tell them they arrived and they schedule someone, last one replaced a scsi drive and gave the thing the same address as another drive and spent 3 hours trying to figure it out.

As far as backups go, I run livestate on the windoz servers that backup to a nas every night, then I back up the nas to robotic dlt array with netbackup data center running on an HP9000/11i. That set of 9 tapes goes off site every day and comes back a few days later. My robot runs for 12 hours every day 21 hours straight on weekends.

Same here, was out back working on the jeep an hour into my shift today:clap:

Ah yes, end of the day coming up, already kicked back with a davidoff geneve rubosto, my french pressed afternoon coffee, pizza will be here in another 45 minutes and we'll see how good a job the purchasing guy did matching up the evening cigar with whatever beer he picked out.:cheers:

And that's the reason right there why I will never have a Dell Server in my Data Center...Full HP shop here and couldn't be happier...Just my .02

:vomit:

We have Dell, HP and IBM. It depends on which manager was in charge at the time of ordering.

The HP and Dell Servers have been much more reliable than the IBM. And for the issues we have had, the service for either has been better as well.

Even ordering parts, we always have them within the 4 hr response time, so that has been good for all 3. But we have had an IBM tech here 5 times for the same error on the same machine that I finally gave up and just re-built on a spare Dell.

I expect any machine to have issues eventually, but the reliability of the 2 remind me of an inline 6 and the IBM is more like a 2.8 (some are good, some really bad)

There...I even ran it around to being a Jeep discussion :)

Jim

Wow...vomit worthy and I didn't even try that hard...

I was referring to the HP servers...same goes for IBM, IMO. Oh and CommVault can go suck an egg too.

Have had nothing but success with Dell - always my first choice.

I was referring to the HP servers...same goes for IBM, IMO. Oh and CommVault can go suck an egg too.

No problem....I will definitely agree with you on IBM and CommVault, but HP has always worked well for me....had horrible experiences with Dell, but again that is just me...too each his own...if it works for you then more power to ya...

fix my phone?
Cell phone: 1) Hit with hammer. 2) Give sales clerk at store a hard time until he/she gives you at least 1/2 off price of new phone

Land line phone: 1) Throw away and get a cell phone.

Any thing else I can help you with?

X2

We always have our parts/support within the 4 hour time limit. A few weeks ago we had a drive failure on one of our boats at 2am. I had a new drive in my had within 3 hours. Granted I haven't been an IT long enough to work with many companies but I like Dell. They even have the new CG contract for our work stations since MPC went under.

Here is something for you IT guys. I'm not a computer guy but I do like to tinker. Here are some clocks I made.

1-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

B12.jpg

B3.jpg

3-2.jpg

Last edited:
Lol, I have nothing but IBM/cisco appliances, I have had bad times with HP hardware. We could have ourselves a nice little Ford vs Chevy style
internet geek battle.

That said I am proud to be one of the few IT geeks who goes to meetings with Mechanic hands!
Yeah, they ask me if I wear black nail polish on the weekends.. and I say "yeah don't you? I saw your wife in the SnM store..."

Yes, because Dell Doesn't have their $hit together..

We have Dell, HP and IBM. It depends on which manager was in charge at the time of ordering.
My head hurts just thinking about managing that many different vendors.

Have you ever used anything other than CommVault? Like say CA, or Veri-toss-my lunch.
I have used all three in the past and CommVault Support speaks English..

They even have the new CG contract for our work stations since MPC went under.
We went to Lenovo, (not my choice) and While the new laptop is nice, I still feel dirty using a commie made laptop, I swear they are spying on me.

We went to Lenovo, (not my choice) and While the new laptop is nice, I still feel dirty using a commie made laptop, I swear they are spying on me.

They very well could be now that Intel opened their R&D plus new production facility in China, thats a joint plant between Intel and the Chinese government, I know the US Govt would have loved to have the ability to inject code into chips and processors.
Think about it, small subroutine to dump keystrokes at the firmware level...scary eh...

They very well could be now that Intel opened their R&D plus new production facility in China, thats a joint plant between Intel and the Chinese government, I know the US Govt would have loved to have the ability to inject code into chips and processors.
Think about it, small subroutine to dump keystrokes at the firmware level...scary eh...

The feature is basically already in this laptop, And many others...
it has a "Theft Recovery" bios controlled chip that tracks it geological location and reports it to a server for "Asset Management" and yeah, the company I work for, pays for the feature. SO.... They are watching...:compwork:

Back