• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

got a letter from NBC

Take it from someone with experience receiving multiple notices like that it's all a bunch of bs. I've gotten many of those same types of emails and nothing has ever or will happen. As much as they dont like it it's actually not illegal to download it for perso al use as its already piblic property and widely available online. The ones that have to worry are the ones making the copies and uploading them as thats what the piracy is all about. Its no different if someone put up several videos on youtube and you watched them its public property for anyone's use or viewing. Just delete the email and throw the paper in the trash and continue living your life without worry. Besides after 12/21 who cares about any of it lol.

Who did you say that to?

If you could give more info in a pm I'd appreciate it

I told the ISP that. I didn't bother contacting the law firm. I did a bit of research into the law firm and it was basically a joke ambulance-chaser type. The law firm didn't have my information and I wasn't planing on giving them anymore. All they had was an IP address. I don't remember which company they were representing or what file they though I downloaded.

This was from NBC's piracy division, not a hack law firm. Contact info all checked out, i guess we'll see

Just because the letter contains legit contact info doesn't mean the letter itself is legit.

Edit: If shit goes down, talk to NOBODY without a lawyer present. Not the police, not your ISP, not NBC, NOBODY!

I got several of those letters from Comcast about Avatar. turns out my cousin was a downloading freak and was going apeshit downloading on his laptop.

I ignored the letters, locked my cousins ass out of the network and they stopped coming. its been a couple years now and no word since.

I agree with everyone above; no lawyer= no talking.

i'll look and see what Yale Law School has to offer in the pro bono dept.

Go ahead and dissmiss what i have to say, but ive delt with these phony tough guy letters... and thats all they are. They cant sue every peer in the swarm, they know that, and i know that... So they try to scare you into admitting guilt.
They don't have to sue every peer in the swarm. To make life miserable for you, they only have to choose one...
Take it from someone with experience receiving multiple notices like that it's all a bunch of bs. I've gotten many of those same types of emails and nothing has ever or will happen. As much as they dont like it it's actually not illegal to download it for perso al use as its already piblic property and widely available online. The ones that have to worry are the ones making the copies and uploading them as thats what the piracy is all about. Its no different if someone put up several videos on youtube and you watched them its public property for anyone's use or viewing. Just delete the email and throw the paper in the trash and continue living your life without worry. Besides after 12/21 who cares about any of it lol.
Copyrighted material isn't public property, no matter how freely it's available online. Look at how many videos get taken down from Youtube due to copyright infringement.

I had a video of my car going up a hill get deleted from youtube for copyright infringement. Apparently the sound of the ford 3.0 vulcan pinging on a hill is copyrighted.

Copyrighted material isn't public property, no matter how freely it's available online.
This is exactly right. I'm amazed by the number of people who think it's legal or moral to download music, videos, etc., without paying for it because they can find it online. Personal use has nothing to do with it. It's stealing.

Charging 17.99 for 45 minutes of music is stealing also... morally speaking that is. Hell I can go to the bar and buy music off the jukebox for less than that

LOL at the moral police!

You either fight this shit, or your paying for NBC to send out bullshit letters... i know where i stand.
Get with the times!

Charging 17.99 for 45 minutes of music is stealing also... morally speaking that is. Hell I can go to the bar and buy music off the jukebox for less than that

I know right screw that 1% making a product people desire at a price they are willing to pay for a measly 45 minutes of content. Seriously if my cd only lasts 50 years I can only get 26280000 minutes of playtime out of it. That's only 438,000 hours that's bullshit, not worth my 17.99.

Do you get to take the music home? If not, you're paying to borrow the music from the jukebox.

xcm, I thought you said to ignore it. How is that fighting? Nobody is claiming he should bend over and take it. But also, if someone is downloading their show, that's not a BS letter. It's only BS that someone got access to his network, or spoofed his IP or something and he's left holding the bag.

Tell them you have open wifi... it litterally removes all responsibility form you about what happens on your internet connection.

xcm, I thought you said to ignore it. How is that fighting? Nobody is claiming he should bend over and take it. But also, if someone is downloading their show, that's not a BS letter. It's only BS that someone got access to his network, or spoofed his IP or something and he's left holding the bag.

Its BS because they have to prove you have the file. In order to do so they would need to inspect your computer. Which would take a court order. Judges just don't hand those out like cookies.

I have protected WiFi but that didn't stop my iTunes and Facebook getting hacked so I can prove a long list of hosting someone else's habits

You're missing my point. Illegal downloads and companies looking to protect their copyrights are not BS. Yes, the letter may be meaningless in that there's not much NBC can do, but if they send it out to someone who actually is downloading illegally, it lets the person know that they've been caught. Heck, in this case, it let OP know that his network has been compromised.

Claiming they got my ip address pirating "aliens and cowboys" never seen it and certainly didn't download it
WtF:mad:

What I've read is its a scare letter by a troll company, I have a wireless router but its protected

Edit, notice was mailed to me by my isp

WEP encryption for wireless routers is very weak but the most common. Someone may be using your ip connection as a dump site.

No, its BS. They are doing nothing more than being e-tough guys. All they have is an IP address, which is loosely linked to downloading a part of a file if that. Thats it. They have no real proof that the file was downloaded entirely or who was using that IP, or if it really came from that IP. Also, the only way they know that people are downloading that file and the IPs is because they put the damn file out there on a machine they control.

Back