• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going to Moab... any ideas?

XJtraveler

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to Moab this weekend (April 20-23 2011).
Any ideas on trails I could do with a 1-2 inch lift & 30 inch BFG all terrains?
I will probably spend the first night outside Moab on the river off 128 (from I-70 towards Moab).
I am thinking of exploring the road named 'Kane Creek Blvd - Lock Hart Road'. It looks to be in the valley and goes by the Needles Overlook (which is above). Starts in a neighborhood in Moab and ends at UT 211 which I think is the southern entrance into Canyonlands.
Any suggestions or warnings? Can I do this trail in 2 or 3 days?
Are there major obsticales? I have done natural staircases in my rig before, so I am not afraid of rocks, but my rig is not a rock crawler.

If you are brave, I would suggest Hells Revenge. It is scary but not particularly anything hard.

Two of my favorites. :D

Yeah, but not on 2" and 30's....... :laugh:

Kane Creek can be a real challenge even for rigs on 33's depending on the time of year and how bad the washouts are. Definitely a trail that requires a locker and careful driving.

Hell's Revenge should be do-able but there can be spots where a rig your size might need a strap - particularly if you try "Tip-Over Challenge" but there are bypasses for the majority of obstacles.

Fins-N-Things is another decent trail in the same area as Hell's Revenge (Sand Flats Recreation area). Should easily be done with 2" and 30's.

Gemini Bridges Road and a couple other spurs in that area can be fun with a rig like yours.

Last edited:
I would reccomend you not do Kane Creek. It was a bit much for me on 4" and 31' to keep up with my buddy in a rubi w/ 35's.

QZmsvl.jpg

If I took it REAL slow, and was with people that knew what they're doing, I think I could have done it.

You should hit Fins and Things. You could also go down Kane Creek Rd, and hang a right to check out hurrah pass(instead of going left down harder kane creek canyon)

Beef Basin is a ways from Moab. It's south of the Park. It's a long trail through. You shouldn't go alone, do to its' distends from anything! If you went down that way, there's Elephant Hill and the overlook of where the Green and Colorado River meet. It's traveled enough that you could get help if needed.

I've done Fins 'n Things on 2" and 30's with no problem. If you are by yourself, I would stick to the more moderate or very well-traveled trails. If you want a challenge do Top Of The World. I did it on 30's, and it's popular enough that if you are there early enough in the day there would be other folks coming by.

Bull Canyon

I like Bull Canyon. Nice easy trail that will take you to the bottom of Gemini Bridges. It's a little bit of a hike to get to the bridge from the trail, but it's pretty cool.

Pritchett Canyon, Upper Heldorado, and Greenday .!.. :D ..!.

Aren't those trails pretty rock heavy. Traildamage.com rates Pritchett as a 7 low to 10 high in diffuculty with a 5 out of 5 in rock crawling. I assume I shouldn't attempt with a 2 inch lift and 30's.
I assume the same for Heldorado.
Haven't heard of Greenday.

I think we will be concentrating on the trails between freeway 191 (road into/out of Moab) and Canyonlands and between freeway 211 (southern entrance to Canyonlands) & the Colorado River. We might hit a few trails that head south from 211, like Lavendar, etc.
It is just me and my girlfriend with one rig, so don't want to do too much crazy stuff, just in case.
Thank you guys...
Any other suggestions?

If you are brave, I would suggest Hells Revenge. It is scary but not particularly anything hard.

Hells Revenge looks cool, but I might wait and hit that trail when I have another rig or two coming along. I will keep it in my book to try and hit this year.
Thank youf or the suggestion...

Bull Canyon
Klondike Bluffs (check out the dinosaur foot prints).

Bull Canyon, Klondike, Gemini, 4 Arches, & Little Canyon might be anotehr trip. those are all in one area north of Moab that could be hit in one trip. They sound cool, with some other rough trails (rusty Nail, Metal Masher) that I might think about, and look at, but doubt I will take my DD through. Maybe my buddies new JK. :laugh:

There are so many trails, I could spend the whole summer in the Moab/Canyonlands area.

Awe, no thanks necessary. All just part of my job being a super hero. Lol.

When you get back from Moab let set up a Spring Creek run or something.

Back