• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting a new 08 Sequoia for the wife, anyone else have a 08?

erikwylie said:
I just bought a used expedition and I love it! Haven't towed with it, but I don't think its gonna be an issue! I don't have much experiance with either, but I do love the expedtion and I have only had it two weeks!
Well my 2001 F150 w 5.4 edge programmer, 410 gears, exh, intake, elect fans, and HE coils doesn't tow like I hoped. Still under powered for going over the passes fully loaded.

Hoping the 5 sp auto and more power on the new expedition might make the diff if we went that way.

If the dealer is using tow rating as a selling point, see if you can bring your trailer along on a test drive. My father in-law was able to bring his boat along on an RV test drive.

Power is one thing, stability is another.

I would rather go slow and steady in the right lane comfortably over the passes than be keeping up with traffic with white knuckles.

I admit that I have not driven an expidition with a trailer, but they are pretty much regarded as light wieghts in the RV world. Have seen a few jack kniefed on the side of the highway with fairly light weight trailers behind them.

ROBERTK said:
As for the cam issues. It was told by edmunds though that there were 20 total in the nation and that toy was replacing the entire motor with a overnight delivery to your dealer of choice and offering a replacment truck to use how ever u were using ur truck (const. Gardener, whatever). Not to mention then issueing a extended warr for free. So they fully stood behind that issue it seems?

In any case getting a suv today or tomorrow if all goes as planned.

Maybe back to the expedition.
I don't know where edmunds got thier info but that seems like a really low number if we had one break and the dealer that did the repairs said they had 3 others with the same problem since thier release. oh and by the way the information about them sending a new engine and a loaner truck is dead false. truck was there 3 weeks before the engine arrived and I was the one who brough it to the shop on the tow truck and was never once offered a loaner or for that matter a ride back to my shop. Extended warrenty only covered the miles you had on the truck at failure. OH and part of the reason the cams break is poor oiling so Im sure it's gona be a bigger issue as time progresses

Gerr said:
I don't know where edmunds got thier info but that seems like a really low number if we had one break and the dealer that did the repairs said they had 3 others with the same problem since thier release. oh and by the way the information about them sending a new engine and a loaner truck is dead false. truck was there 3 weeks before the engine arrived and I was the one who brough it to the shop on the tow truck and was never once offered a loaner or for that matter a ride back to my shop. Extended warrenty only covered the miles you had on the truck at failure. OH and part of the reason the cams break is poor oiling so Im sure it's gona be a bigger issue as time progresses

well not saying that you didnt go thru what you did, but maybe it was a isolated ordeal that maybe could have been handled differently if either the dealer or the consumer asked more questions or such?

this is good reading on it..
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/toyota/tundra/camshaft/camshaft.html

LOS ANGELES -- A batch of camshaft failures in 5.7-liter V-8 engines has dinged the launch of the Toyota Tundra pickup.

Camshafts in 20 engines have snapped, says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels. The outside camshaft supplier, which Toyota declined to identify, has traced the problem to "a metallurgical defect in the casting, a flaw in the metal which they have corrected," he says.

To date, Toyota has built 30,000 of the engines, and the company is determining how many might be affected. Michels says that it was "an early batch," and that "Toyota is confident in the production from that point on."

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Playing down the imminence of a recall, Toyota spokesperson Bill Kwong tells PickupTruck.com that, "It's still too early to tell if a recall is necessary, but if it is, we'll initiate it."[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But even a limited recall could turn into a very expensive proposition for the OEM. Jim Hossack, vice president and head of the pickup truck consulting practice at AutoPacific, a West Coast marketing and consulting firm, estimates the costs at upwards of $5000 per truck to replace a broken 5.7-liter i-Force V8 motor. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"At this point, they'll probably issue a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) to their dealers, instead of doing a recall," says Hossack. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$5000 for each engine swap could be a relative bargain though versus the short term cost that this incident has caused Toyota's reputation for building high quality automobiles. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Still, Hossack thinks both Toyota and the Tundra will be fine in the long run because of Toyota's relatively unblemished quality record.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Toyota will be forgiven and will come out of this unscathed, as long as there are no other major problems after this, but if the same situation had happened to a company like Hyundai, they'd be skewered," says Hossack."[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tundra owners impacted by a failed camshaft will face their own costs, especially if they depend on their truck for their livelihood. In this case, Bill Kwong says Toyota dealers will do what they can to help.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Our dealers have approximately 1,600 new Tundras nationwide for disposal as a loaner vehicle while a customer's truck is being repaired," says Kwong, "and that doesn't include older Tundras and Tacomas."[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Toyota has also been proactively managing the camshaft problem with some of its most loyal fans. Toyota communications and public relations reps have posted apologies and responses to comments in online discussion forums at ToyotaNation.com, a general Toyota news and community website, and at TundraSolutions.com, an online neighborhood of Tundra and other Toyota vehicle owners.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Update #2: 05-31-07 02:10 PT[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Detroit News, after speaking with a Toyota spokesperson on Wednesday, is reporting, "[Toyota] may recall Tundras equipped with 5.7-liter V-8s to replace the engines.[/FONT]"
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Update #1: 05-28-07 22:50 PT[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In a written reply to our inquiry asking for further clarification on the number of 5.7-liter engines potentially impacted by the camshaft issue, Toyota spokesperson Mike Michels tells PickupTruck.com, "The casting defect was found very early and immediately corrected. Because the heart of the Toyota production system is the continuous flow "just in time" method, there is no such thing as a "batch" of engines. In general the same holds true for suppliers, who keep very small inventories. So the advantage is that problems are quickly found, countermeasures taken rapidly and there aren't large quantities of potentially defective parts in the system.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As a result only a very few production engines were effected from the
earliest production. No, this absolutely will not impact all 30,000 5.7
liter engines sold to date. It will be a very small number. 20 units
represents less than 0.06 percent of vehicles sold. We are confident that very few customers will experience the problem but pending the on going analysis it is not possible to give a precise number."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For Tundra customers who might be impacted by a faulty camshaft, Michels added the following, "As mentioned in the story, rather than replacing the camshaft, many customers whose engines have a broken camshaft are receiving a new engine, via airfreight to the dealer. Feedback from customers indicates that this exceeds their expectations.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Two side notes:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.) I'd like to thank Mr. Michels for his very rapid response back to us during this Memorial Day holiday.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.) I also corrected a typo, where I mistakenly said Toyota will pay the costs to replace the entire engine of any new Tundra with a failed crankshaft. It should have said 'camshaft'. I regret the error.[/FONT]

Ronbo said:
Corp 14 bolt(vs whatever weaker option Toy uses :)) should be obvious unless you're just trolling. :0

just found that this and figured even though this is not a tech posting so much, might as well list the Correct info..

the new tundra has a rear limited slip 4.3:1 ratio and 10.5" ring gear!

EDIT~ the sequoia has the 8.7" front and 10" rear.

sounds like its got 1/2 the Corp 14bolts beat and tied with the FF version? given the bearings Could be smaller or weaker or the axles could be thinner or weaker. Or they could be stronger in both?

Just not going to let a truck/SUV get bashed unrightfully, and by assumptions.

Last edited:
Gerr said:
good then maybe this thread can die. :yelclap:

What ever you buy I hope it fills your needs and is enjoyable party1:

LOL...Just buy it !!! it seems you have already made up your mind ...Hard to beat Toyota but I for one have always ben leary of first year run models let them get all the bugs worked out first hopfully not at your expense

97xjdawg said:
LOL...Just buy it !!! it seems you have already made up your mind ...Hard to beat Toyota but I for one have always ben leary of first year run models let them get all the bugs worked out first hopfully not at your expense

x2! Never buy a first year anything!

Back