• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Geocaching

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
I called myself searching to see if we have a related thread in here but I don't see one.

I know it's a bit late in the season but this is when I do the most camping so I geocach then.

I got in to geocaching about 4 years ago and stopped doing it since my little Garmin auto GPS sucked at being accurate. Now I have my android cell phone that's way more accurate and reliable than the little Garmin so I'll get back into it.

It amazes me at how many caches there are. Too many for one person to find!

How many of you guys do it?

I want to hide a couple down the Saluda River.

They also have a super cool GeoCaching App for Android phones...

www.geocaching.com

im just now getting into it.... something to do on a nice day.

I've been doing it about 2 years, I use my Garmin Rino 530 & works pretty good. I have recently been using my blackberry w/ the program cache sense, it is ok but not as good as my rino. With my rino & my blackberry together life is good because I can use my blackberry to access clues & logs (still use the rino for finding cords.) while i'm at the cache location. That way I don't have to go home and do more research on a cache & then return to the location with the updated clues etc.

I downloaded the official geocaching.com website app. I might check out the cgeo app as well.

Just seems like a prettty cool thing to do with the kids!

It's been years, i started finding caches in college, 8 -9 yrs ago. That was fun. ummmm...might have to access my login again. In fact i still have one of those spider tracker things, whatever there called. My buddy went to Iraq and took some with him, hid them out there and other soldiers would find them and enter the tracker info online. IIRC the goal was to get the tracker thing back to the US and in your local cache. I haven't talked to that guy in awhile, don't know if it ever made it back here. I'm gonna check on that!

cgeo is the best app,

we'll be doing some geocaching at turkey bay this weekend.

I was out at LBL with Wingnut today and I had my 3 and 5 year old daughters on their first Jeep trip. Joe knew of a geocache and took the girls on a treasure hunt. They ate it up. We found the box (an old ammo box) and my 5 year old had a rubber band in her pocket that she decided to leave. Then she wrote all our names in the notebook in the box. When we got home, my wife asked what the best part of the trip was and she said, "the treasure hunt."

just signed up for geocaching.com and cgeo Any quick start tips... since I've never been there before...:cheers:

I'm not sure about C Geo. The actual GroundSpeak App works perfectly.

I suggest reading thru this. http://www.geocaching.com/guide/default.aspx

It's quite helpful and easy to figure out.

I picked up another Travel Bug today. I have 3 in my hands at the moment that I plan to take to a cache near my house. Maybe they'll still be there when I get ready to head somewhere far off.

Hi, Stukboy here.
I'm from the North Atlantic Chapter.
My wife and I have been caching for about 3 years now and LOVE it!!
We usually go out every weekend we don't have kids at soccer or camping or wheeling.
We cache to and from places we go so the normal travel usually takes us 3X as long.
We have cached in Hawaii and Colorado and most of the east coast.
We have about 2200 finds and our 5 year old loves it also. The 10 month old likes the backpack she rides in.
One of our coolest was in Jersey, I know Jersey, when we stumbled upon a power trail with about 60 caches. the trails were sandy and narrow for the Toyota Sequoia loaded with bikes and stuff from our beach trip.
Another was our 2000 find here in PA called Raiders of the Lost Cache. Check it out on geocaching.com.
We go by McJeeper and Stukboy if you want to look us up.
We love Jeep travel bugs and or son has one currently in Germany.

I use c:geo and my wife uses the geocaching app she paid for. We also both have Garmin GPSmap 60CSx's.
I like c:geo.
As for tips: remember its a game have fun!!!

See ya on the trails
Stukboy

Hi, Stukboy here.
I'm from the North Atlantic Chapter.
My wife and I have been caching for about 3 years now and LOVE it!!
We usually go out every weekend we don't have kids at soccer or camping or wheeling.
We cache to and from places we go so the normal travel usually takes us 3X as long.
We have cached in Hawaii and Colorado and most of the east coast.
We have about 2200 finds and our 5 year old loves it also. The 10 month old likes the backpack she rides in.
One of our coolest was in Jersey, I know Jersey, when we stumbled upon a power trail with about 60 caches. the trails were sandy and narrow for the Toyota Sequoia loaded with bikes and stuff from our beach trip.
Another was our 2000 find here in PA called Raiders of the Lost Cache. Check it out on geocaching.com.
We go by McJeeper and Stukboy if you want to look us up.
We love Jeep travel bugs and or son has one currently in Germany.

I use c:geo and my wife uses the geocaching app she paid for. We also both have Garmin GPSmap 60CSx's.
I like c:geo.
As for tips: remember its a game have fun!!!

See ya on the trails
Stukboy

Ha! That one looks awesome! I like the container!

I need to get in touch with our "moderator" to see if i can change my name.

Back