• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end wobble after bump ??

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my sister just got a 2001 WJ V8 (stock).

The front end seems to wobble after I hit a bump, I feel it in the steering wheel (bumpsteer) & the whole front end then takes some time to stabilize

any ideas ?

Classic death wobble....

Start with the track bar (frame side ball joint type end), after that it could be anything from control arm bushings to shocks/shock mounts, tie rod ends....tire out of balance....

There should be no play at all. All the balljoints should do is rotate, as when the wheels steer. Check the tie rods, all the ends in the bars that steer the wheels. The WJ has a track bar with press in bushings at both ends, not a ball jointed frame end like the XJ. They might be starting to soften, although unlikely. The best thing to do is crawl under, and have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth just a few inches (cm?), and feel for play at all joints.

Great thanks guys, btw XJs rule I fell in love with my XJ even more after I ve seen the quality of the WJ it is a real PITA it is a well kept jeep but everything seems to fail the whole front suspension is now LOOSE & looks like I am going to replace all balljoints & hubs, while at the same time my 94 XJ that I drive like i stole everyday, take out to the desert for several days has not even got its balljoints greased.

Possible causes of DEATH WOBBLE: Note: It can oftentimes be due to a combination of things!

-Front tires out of balance
-Improper lug nut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar end
-Bad bushings/joints in control arms
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box loose
-Bad front hub assembly

P.S. How's the weather in Egypt??

Possible causes of DEATH WOBBLE: Note: It can oftentimes be due to a combination of things!

-Front tires out of balance
-Improper lug nut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar end
-Bad bushings/joints in control arms
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box loose
-Bad front hub assembly

P.S. How's the weather in Egypt??

Great checklist thanks I am suspecting TREs, balljoints or shocks.
The weather is beautiful in this october 85ish

Back