• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found synthetic winch line for less

IMO, you are not seeing the forest through the trees. I would much rather have a stronger, shorter line than a weaker longer one. (within reason of course)

""Having said all this (brainstorming on the keyboard) I will probably go with 100' of 3/8" from Custom Splice and grab a 50' extension as well as a tree saver. 9000# winch with snatch block (18,000#) exceeds the rating of 5/16" AmSteel Blue (13,700#).""

Guess you ain't seeing too good either. Above is what I've said I'd go with.
Do you agree? I lose only 25 feet over the 5/16 rope and have the added strength plus will carry an extension.
And I find myself in "almost never" situations a lot.
All in fun man.

Didn't intend to hijack the thread.

Last edited:
""Having said all this (brainstorming on the keyboard) I will probably go with 100' of 3/8" from Custom Splice and grab a 50' extension as well as a tree saver. 9000# winch with snatch block (18,000#) exceeds the rating of 5/16" AmSteel Blue (13,700#).""

always use the lowest strength rating when calculating loads, which for the amsteel 5/16" is 12.3k not 13.7k; that is avg strength.

when you add the snatch block (properly), you don't just double the winch's power, you also double the rope strength. so your "18k" winch will be pulling on essentially a 24.6k line. so theoretically the 5/16" would be fine. but that said, there is no such thing as too strong a line, I would run the 3/8". 25' of length is not worth the line strength.

you are correct in thinking the winch should always be the weakest part of the system, not your line.

And I find myself in "almost never" situations a lot.
All in fun man.
Didn't intend to hijack the thread.

my point was simply: do not rely on the ability to use a snatch block, you won't be able to use it every time. design your system as simple as possible for those situations when you need it. prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

always use the lowest strength rating when calculating loads, which for the amsteel 5/16" is 12.3k not 13.7k; that is avg strength.

when you add the snatch block (properly), you don't just double the winch's power, you also double the rope strength. so your "18k" winch will be pulling on essentially a 24.6k line. so theoretically the 5/16" would be fine. but that said, there is no such thing as too strong a line, I would run the 3/8". 25' of length is not worth the line strength.

you are correct in thinking the winch should always be the weakest part of the system, not your line.

my point was simply: do not rely on the ability to use a snatch block, you won't be able to use it every time. design your system as simple as possible for those situations when you need it. prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

There is Amsteel & Amsteel Blue with 2 separate ratings. Saw the chart on one of the linked websites yesterday. But that's splitting hairs.. no need. I did not know that about doubling rope strength.. very cool.

Exactly my thoughts on the 25'.

Absolutely - we agree again. I would never think a snatch block would be useable in every situation. But even if I never have a need for a snatch block I will always have one (or two) with me. My intended wheeling will be trails in the trees, hunting, and overland/exploring, not much rock crawling, so I might actually have an available attachment point, or a 3rd rig to snatch to. Or I might need it to drag that elk out to the edge of the trees to get it loaded up. Did that with my quad a few years back and the block was invaluable. (We can still go 'offroad' to recover downed game in Nevada, for the time being at least.)

Saw a mention, maybe in this thread, that "winches build courage".. LOL. There is a lot of truth to that and I always keep my senses about me in that regard. Been good at that for years without a winch but figure now if I only use the winch once in the middle of BF Nevada or BF Montana it will pay for itself. I've been stuck completely by surprise more than once but now I'm too old to walk out a bunch of miles. Of course wheeling alone is a no-no as well.

Anyway, I appreciate the dialogue - I think we're on the same page - and I got my concerns resolved.

Back