• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford hp44 with chevy flat tops

kewlkatdady

NAXJA Forum User
I got the hp44 out of a '79 bronco.

A guy i know says he has 13 chevy d44 in a pile that is fixin to go the the scrap yard.

I know that most chevy d44 have the flat top knuckles and I know that I need to get the knuckles off a disc brake axle.

I know I need the knuckles, spindle and caliper bracket/ dust shield...

What else? I want to keep 5x5.5 bolt pattern to match the rear 9"

I'm going in the morning so any quick EXPERIENCE is greatly appriciated while I search...

TIA

Just grab all the outers. That way you can have a spare hub, shaft, and caliper for a core.

knuckle, spindle, caliper bracket, caliper, hub, and stub shafts.

You need a ford hub, rotor, and wheel bearings for the 5x5.5

Taken from Mr. N's page.

Option 1: Use a mix of Chevy/FSJ and Ford parts. You'll need a Chevy or Full Size Jeep Dana 44 flat top knuckles, spindle, caliper mount plate and outer axle shaft from a 73-76, see chart for exact years and BOM. To convert these to the Ford 5 on 5.5” (also the same bolt pattern as a Jeep CJ, Scout II and many other vehicles) you’ll need a 1976-1984 or 1987-1995 Ford hub, rotor and bearing. My suggestion is use 76-79 parts, but you can use an 80’s Ford IFS Dana 44 (minus 1986 and some 85 as they had a unique style.) Pull the hub with the bearings, rotor and lock-out. Any standard Dana 44 ½ ton or Chevy ½ ton 10 bolt axle lock outs should work, and spare are always good.

I'm a little confused....

I went out and looked and several different chevy D44's (I don;t know the yrs)

All of them had one flat top knuckle and the other was not a flat top.

Am I just looking at the wrong yrs?

Are the only years that have FTK's on both sides the axles from the '70's models?

any help would be great.

yeah I've read all of the first website SEVERAL times over...
the chevy pass side knuckles i saw today weren't FTK....

more good info in the second link...thanks.

Back