• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster Dilemma?

mtnxj said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJax
A friend of mine runs pacesetter header (jet hot coated) into a 2.5" downpipe into a highflow Magnaflow cat with a turndown on it. No muffler. I think that setup sounds 100X better and makes the 4.0 throatier and "different". His floor was rhino'd and the interior was almost completely silent too.

The XJ sounds like a 4BT with that setup.

And neither one of them can figure out why their exhaust valves are burnt. :rolleyes:

Burnt Valves and acute deafness......kind of comes as a package! LoL

BlackJax said:
That's because there are no burnt valves. The reason? He left the cat on. Thanks for that useless bit of information.

Give it six months, pull the motor down, and post up pics of the valves. Guaranteed the valves are burnt. The cat alone does not create enough back pressure for the engine. Not enough back pressure = burnt valves.

mtnxj said:
Give it six months, pull the motor down, and post up pics of the valves. Guaranteed the valves are burnt. The cat alone does not create enough back pressure for the engine. Not enough back pressure = burnt valves.

It's been two years and he drives it at WOT frequently. No issues whatsoever. We just put an aluminum head on it. It's a terrible thing to admit defeat, but I respect you a lot more for it. ;) :D

XJSlater said:
Anyone else have a series 40 that sounds like an import car?
just got mine on and it wasn't as throaty is i thought it would be. Does it just need to break in?

Skipped over this thread 1st time I saw it....but now that I think about it a bit more, my buddy has a Flowmaster 40 on an S-10. I've got to say...that thing sounds like ass..........incredibly loud inside and out, and about 2k RPM, the entire cab resonates, windows/doors/etc start vibrating, etc......

That's just a 2.2L 4 banger.....might not have too much to do with this conversation....:shhh:

I can totally relate to the resonating inside around 2k. And also what Terryd said on the first page. After driving around town when the jeep is warmer, it tends to be more consistent with its tone. But i've noticed the two peak spots are at 1500 and 2500.

At 1500 RPM is when i get the most resonating inside and the deepest sound. And at 2500 RPM is when i sound like im going the fastest ;)

Other than those times. I can barely hear it

Good thread...i'll be looking to do the exhuast on my XJ, but im nervous lol. I dont want it to sound like crap. I want a nice grumble. So far the guy with the highflow cat and super40 sounded the best.... Anybody run the FULL borla setup?

YeaILift said:
Flows are horrible flowing mufflers. If you want a more throaty sound get a mac pro chamber and have a shop fab it up for you.
I'm curious as to why you think this? I look down my Flowmaster and I can see out the other side...

I have a Magnaflow Hi-Flow cat, Flowmaster 50 Series with 3" piping after the muffler. Tore off the stock exhaust on a rock at Rausch and the shop had the FM and piping laying around. Good setup, sounds pretty good, doesn't sound like an import.

97XJ Jeeper, where do you wheel in SE Iowa? I wll be in Des Moines until the end of October and feeling a little boored.
Oh my Flowmaster 50 was one of Rusty's kit for $150 to my door. I added a resonator in front of the Flowmaster to reduce the low RPM rumble. In Fort Lauderdale FL, cops gives tickets for exhaust noise especially if it not OEM equipment.

no where. there is no place in my area unless you know someone with there own land. i know 2 people and they dont let many people on there land.

Back