• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Problem

CALGXJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, i have a 99 XJ sport and im having some issues with the fans.
everytime that i turn on the ventilation system (doesnt matter if its defrost/floor/vents) my engine cooling fan kicks in every 10 seconds or so and only runs for a few seconds before cutting out again. Engine temp is normal, and this only happends when the ventilation system is on. Im thinking it could be some kind of bad wiring or something along those lines. anybody have any ideas??

and ever since i lifted my jeep and gone thru some pretty thick mud, everytime the fans kick in there is the loudest noise from them, and it vibrates the entire jeep pretty badly. is this just a bunch of mud or sumthin caught in them??

CALGXJ said:
hey guys, i have a 99 XJ sport and im having some issues with the fans.
everytime that i turn on the ventilation system (doesnt matter if its defrost/floor/vents) my engine cooling fan kicks in every 10 seconds or so and only runs for a few seconds before cutting out again. Engine temp is normal, and this only happends when the ventilation system is on. Im thinking it could be some kind of bad wiring or something along those lines. anybody have any ideas??

and ever since i lifted my jeep and gone thru some pretty thick mud, everytime the fans kick in there is the loudest noise from them, and it vibrates the entire jeep pretty badly. is this just a bunch of mud or sumthin caught in them??

How is anyone else supposed to know if something is caught in your fan????

There is a lever on the kick panel on the driver's side. Pull it and walk to the front of the vehicle. Stick the hand of your choice (left or right) in the opening between the hood and the header pannel, in the center, and relaease the hood. Open the hood fully and prop it open with the appropriate support, either on the passenger inner fenderwell or the top of the radiator support. Carefully look down at the fans, the belt-driver one is the metal one and the electric one is the pastic one, and see if anything is stuck in them. If something is stuck in either fan, pull it out!

Jess said:
How is anyone else supposed to know if something is caught in your fan????

There is a lever on the kick panel on the driver's side. Pull it and walk to the front of the vehicle. Stick the hand of your choice (left or right) in the opening between the hood and the header pannel, in the center, and relaease the hood. Open the hood fully and prop it open with the appropriate support, either on the passenger inner fenderwell or the top of the radiator support. Carefully look down at the fans, the belt-driver one is the metal one and the electric one is the pastic one, and see if anything is stuck in them. If something is stuck in either fan, pull it out!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Gotta love it, someone with a sense of humor who also answers the question, and in vivid detail no less.:roflmao:Made my day!

Reminds me of a recent news story, sounded similar to this blokes problem, but when they pulled the hood up there was a huge rattle snake wraped up around the engine:eyes:, and it was none too happy about being disturbed! So be careful where you stick your hands. :laugh2:

Ecomike said:
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Gotta love it, someone with a sense of humor who also answers the question, and in vivid detail no less.:roflmao:Made my day!

Reminds me of a recent news story, sounded similar to this blokes problem, but when they pulled the hood up there was a huge rattle snake wraped up around the engine:eyes:, and it was none too happy about being disturbed! So be careful where you stick your hands. :laugh2:

Don't try to scare him! :roflmao:

That black rubber thing that goes around all the round things is called a belt....not a snake. :laugh2:

Jess said:
Don't try to scare him! :roflmao:

That black rubber thing that goes around all the round things is called a belt....not a snake. :laugh2:
You are refering to the serpentine that snakes :eek: its way around all those pullys, NO?:clap:

Hopefully he has carefully hosed all the mud off of his electric fan by now, and gone back to smooth sailing.

What I don't know, and no one has answered for him yet is why his electric fan is short cycling on a vent only in the heat/AC selector setting.

CALGXA,

Does the electric fan come on when set to vent and the temp selector is set to warm? It should only come on when the AC compressor engages, or when the engine hits a critical coolant temperature.

hey ECOMIKE, thanks for actually paying attention to my problem...
and the fan cuts in no matter what the temp is set at, and no matter if its floor, defrost, vent, or AC. thats why im wondering if sumthing is messed up with the wiring...

Does you AC compressor kick in too or just the fan?

X2 on this question!

Saudade said:
Does you AC compressor kick in too or just the fan?

CALGXJ said:
yeah the AC compressor kicks in aswell
have any ideas?

It is normal for the electric fan to turn on with the AC compressor. The fan is also set to turn on when the engine coolant reaches a preset temperature, somewhere around 210 to 225 F on that year.

IF the fan is coming on with out the AC compressor clutch engaging, and with out the engine coolant getting hot enough to trigger the fan, then their might be something wrong, but AC clutches and Pressure switches can get tempermental an not engage when they should so just because the fan comes on with out the AC clutch engaging is not enough to be sure what casued what.

IF the AC and ventilation system is completely off and the coolant is at say 200 F and the electric fan comes on, then the next question is how accurate is that temperature gauge and the sensor it is reading? In your case, '99, I think there is only one temperature sensor reporting to the computer which then reports to the gauge through the computer and the computer turns the elctric fan on via a power relay. Mine has three of the temp sensor buggers (lots more fun!!!!).

Back