• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory fog lights

TrentO

NAXJA Forum User
hey so today is my first day on naxja. hoorah ok so i have a 2000 xj sport. a buddy of mine has a 2000 limited and he has factory fog lights. has anyone added on lights on there 00 xj before? and how easy is it to do? I guess for now i have to start looking for the oem switch and 2 relays but im not sure if the wiring is there for it or not. if someone has done this before let me know, thanks

You need a switch, bezel for the dash, wiring harness and lamps.

I have an extra factory wiring harness with relays if you are interested. I will sell it for $30 plus shipping. Send me your zip if interested and I will send you a total.

Steve
[email protected]

i bought aftermarket mounted them just in front of the stock location (rectangular) mounted switch below headlight switch wired them into park lights so when you turn off the lights all lights go off i know thats not exactly what u want to do but it was easier for me

All the wiring is there from the factory up to the headlight wiring harness. In the engine compartment behind the drivers side headlight is a connector:

Fog_Light_Install_005.jpg

The (aftermarket) yellow wire you see in the connector plugs into the factory hot (+12v) wire. I've got mine wired to ANOTHER relay which switches direct power to the battery.

If you install the factory switch and (qty=2) fog light relays then throwing the fog light switch (with your low beams/prk lights on) will power the wire connected to my ghetto yellow. You can either use this wire to directly power your lights (as per the factory wiring...not really recommended), or use this as the indicatior for an aftermarket relay/wiring harness (recommended).

If you use all factory stuff, the install is clean, but (assuming you only use the wire to power another relay and not directly power the lights) you end up with redundant relays...

I added OEM Fogs to my 99 that didn't come with them. Took me an hour or two of actuall installation (including aiming them, as well as cutting away the plastic that was on the bumper from them not being there). In reality, it took another two hours of tracing wires to figure out why I wasn't getting any response from the vehicle (no ignition, no dome light, no horn, etc). Turns out my buddy who was helping me, when he spliced the wire on the jump box inder the dash, he pulled the whole box off rather than just splicing the wire. And those boxes are a PAIN to get back on (they may feel nice and tight, but they're often not, and you'll get a dead jeep, like I had).

Bought my stuff from here: http://jparts.com/index.php?cPath=159&osCsid=20e3ab4e290c15eac0319ed8f5d87d87

You'll need the factory fogs and the factory fog light installation kit (if you're going for the factory ones).

If you get the lights from them, everything COMES WIRED. All you have to do is mount the lights, mount the relay in the engine compartment, run the wire through the firewall, splice it into one of the wires in the jump box below the dash, and install the switch. It comes with all the necessary parts (even a new bracket for putting all the switches like the rear defroster, wiper, and the newly acquired fog light switch on). It also comes with step by step instructions as to exactly how to install them, and which wire to splice into. Couldn't have been easier.

My factory fog lights are toast. Stupid chicago winters!!! The question I have is can a pair of after market lights bolt right up in the stock holes and if so what size will fit. I am NOT good with anything electrical so ease of opperation is most important to me. The dealer wants over 400 big ones for new factory lights, and if I am going to pay that type of money I would like to get the best bang for the buck. Any help in this case would be cool.

XJadam said:
My factory fog lights are toast. Stupid chicago winters!!! The question I have is can a pair of after market lights bolt right up in the stock holes and if so what size will fit. I am NOT good with anything electrical so ease of opperation is most important to me. The dealer wants over 400 big ones for new factory lights, and if I am going to pay that type of money I would like to get the best bang for the buck. Any help in this case would be cool.
Yes "KC hilites sells a set almost exactly the same size and will mount to thhe factory hardwear w/ slight modds. also comes with flip up covers and bothh clear and amber lenses. I have them on mine work great come withh wires relay and switchh or you can plug thhe wire (oly one wereas factory is two, the kc's use the bracket for ground). cheeper than buying oem replacement.
I will look up the part number in a minute and post it here.
KC HiLites Series 46 Pair pack in the Quadratec catalog for 42.99

Last edited:
I've got some factory fogs on my XJ (hellas) and they receive power when the marker/parking lights are on or lowbeams When the highbeams are activated they switch off.

I know in some areas it is illegal to use foglights with highbeams so that is why they have them set to deactivate when the highbeams are activated. All vehicles with stock foglights seem to be like this as well.

How can I deactivate it? Somehow the highbeam relay is kicking off my foglight relay.....I'm not sure which terminal it might be. I hear it COULD be as easy as cutting off one of the terminals on the foglight relay? Either that or snipping a wire so the fogs could stay on with highbeam operation...thanks.

Blaine B. said:
I've got some factory fogs on my XJ (hellas) and they receive power when the marker/parking lights are on or lowbeams When the highbeams are activated they switch off.

I know in some areas it is illegal to use foglights with highbeams so that is why they have them set to deactivate when the highbeams are activated. All vehicles with stock foglights seem to be like this as well.

How can I deactivate it? Somehow the highbeam relay is kicking off my foglight relay.....I'm not sure which terminal it might be. I hear it COULD be as easy as cutting off one of the terminals on the foglight relay? Either that or snipping a wire so the fogs could stay on with highbeam operation...thanks.

I was wondering the same thing, I have done this on past cars but I would like to do it on my 01 XJ.

This is my take on it. First if you pull off the center bezel in the dash and pull the switch panel out you will see a plug back there, plug a factory fog light switch in and it will light the indicator. Seems to work, downside, if you look in the PDC [Power Distribution Center] passenger side box engine compartment with the fuses in it, it will have NO sockets in it for the factory fog light relays. So while the internal harness parts *may* be there somewhat it is not a plug and play thing. www.jeepsareus.com sells the add on harness which includes new switch panel bezel, switch, interior harness and the harness that goes the rest of the way to the light lights. The wiring on the 'goes to the rest of the lights' part is 14ga wire which to me is kind of light gauge even for a 55w fog.
What I did, I bought the add on harness and a Hella 550 fog kit. I installed the interior parts and ended up with ONE yellow wire from the kit that I ran to up near the battery, that wire operates the hella relay and the interior harness does the parking light, lowbeam, high beam shutoff thing. From there I used the Hella fused relay and hella wiring, 12gauge wire, to wire the lights. Note: If you find a plug in front of the bumper, just one, it's not for fog lights, it's for the external temp sensor for the overhead console so don't go down that path thinking it's for lights, you will generally find it in the area around the center of the bumper, generally tied off with a wire tie.
Now, a suggestion if you really want a good light setup. Go and get the auxiliary heavy duty headlight harness, 12ga or 10ga wiring, sold by www.rallylights.com, and others, those hook to the factory headlights and directly to the battery, it uses two relays to now operate the headlights, one relay is for low beam the other is for high, One of your existing headlight plugs plugs into this harness to operate it, this leaves you with one unused factory socket that can now be used to operate a set of fogs on low beam and a set of driving lights on high beam. Don't let relay screw with your brain, all a relay is is a remotely operated switch, nothing more or less, it's just a switch that uses another switch to operate it. Relay are useful in that they can handle alot more amps than a normal switch can.
I run Hella E code headlights and Hella 450 fogs and have had them in there for the past 9 years.

klennop said:
I was wondering the same thing, I have done this on past cars but I would like to do it on my 01 XJ.

There is a post floating around here that shows the detalis, but all you really need to do is keep Fog Light Relay #1 from knowing when the high beams come on (i.e. bend/break then indicator lead on the relay). I've got the diagram at home. I'll post it tomorrow.

Blaine B. said:

Blaine,

I have a '98 with factory fogs, in which I added aftermarket Hella fogs as a better replacement. One of the quirks when you add aftermarket fogs along WITH an aftermarket fog light wiring harness; and you use your factory fog light switch as the "trigger" switch, the Hi beams don't shut off when you kick down to low beams...

In light of that quirk, and your question above, check out Post #10 in the following link to see how I dealt with that issue. It was tricky!!!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21910&highlight

Ivan

klennop said:
Here's a pic of the bent relay pin on a TJ but the 97+ XJ will be the same.

fog_relay_bend.jpg

hey guys, thanks for all the help. I'm still a bit confused on what exactly my 00 xj needs. I talked to steve on here about a possible wiring harness but im not sure where exactly it would route too. if I pull my dash out where the factory switch would go, there is a connector there, but does that have to get power from the bcm? or no. so far you guys have helped a lot and I just want to make sure im gunna get the right stuff.

Ivan said:
the Hi beams don't shut off when you kick down to low beams...
Ivan

Adding foglights with an aftermarket fog light harness allowed your low beam headlights to remain on with your highbeams?

Some car's I've seen like that, other's kick the lowbeams off when activating highbeams.

1x: http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2...roduct_Code=Cfogwiring&Category_Code=CHEROKEE

1x:
http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2...=JAU&Product_Code=MB12&Category_Code=CHEROKEE

1x:
Factory Fog light relay for '00 Cherokee (you can steal 1 from the wiring harness from the large section you will be removing).

To install:
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Plug in the Switch.
3. Pilfer the small relay from the wiring harness.
4. Install the 2 fog light relays.
5. Pilfer as much of the spade-terminated yellow wire (intended to go through the firewall) as possible.
6. Cut the yellow wire on the BIG relay to about 2".
7. Splice the long yellow wire to the wire you just cut.
8. Connect the wirning harness to the battery (through a fuse).
9. Run the wiring harness.
10. Open C106 (behind the headlight on the drivers side).
11. Remove the red plastic piece from the "inside" of the front lighting harness side.
12. Remove the proper grey plug from the back of the harness (see above pic).
13. Insert the yellow spade end (which now attaches to the large relay on the wiring harness).
14. Re-install the red plastic piece from the connector.
15. Re-attach the connector (c106).
16. Mount the lights.
17. Plug them in.
18. Go.

TheNerd said:
1x: http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2...roduct_Code=Cfogwiring&Category_Code=CHEROKEE

1x:
http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2...=JAU&Product_Code=MB12&Category_Code=CHEROKEE

1x:
Factory Fog light relay for '00 Cherokee (you can steal 1 from the wiring harness from the large section you will be removing).

To install:
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Plug in the Switch.
3. Pilfer the small relay from the wiring harness.
4. Install the 2 fog light relays.
5. Pilfer as much of the spade-terminated yellow wire (intended to go through the firewall) as possible.
6. Cut the yellow wire on the BIG relay to about 2".
7. Splice the long yellow wire to the wire you just cut.
8. Connect the wirning harness to the battery (through a fuse).
9. Run the wiring harness.
10. Open C106 (behind the headlight on the drivers side).
11. Remove the red plastic piece from the "inside" of the front lighting harness side.
12. Remove the proper grey plug from the back of the harness (see above pic).
13. Insert the yellow spade end (which now attaches to the large relay on the wiring harness).
14. Re-install the red plastic piece from the connector.
15. Re-attach the connector (c106).
16. Mount the lights.
17. Plug them in.
18. Go.

Thats all well and good *provided* that jeep put the sockets in the PCM which they don't unless you ordered factory fogs, every 98 and 99 I've looked at did not have them.

RichP said:
Thats all well and good *provided* that jeep put the sockets in the PCM which they don't unless you ordered factory fogs, every 98 and 99 I've looked at did not have them.

My '01 without factory fogs had 'em, and I was using the 00' factory service manual to trace all the wires, so I assume the 00's have the sockets as well (which the thread starter indicated he had).

Here is my '01 PDC opened up. 3rd Column on the left, starting from the top:
ABS Relay (empty in pic)
Fog 2 Relay (empty in pic)
Fog 1 Relay (pilfered relay different from the rest installed in pic)
A/C Clutch (factory relay installed)
Fog_Light_Relay_001.jpg

Or for a larger image:
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/506/Fog_Light_Relay_001.jpg

Last edited:
if your 01 is like my 00, mine has the sockets, there just empty. so im not sure what exactly im going to have to do to fill them in? did you have to fill yours in? someone directed me to a website, possibly jeeps are us, that sells a whole kit for 189.00 but im skeptical that that is what i need. :doh:

Back