• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evans Creek Oktoberfest: 10/22 - 10/24

Im always up to wheel naches and rimrock. Only an hour drive or so. Just let me know.

When my budget isn't recovers from my wedding I'm in. I've wanted to check out Rimrock for a while now.

A. Sit at home and whine
B. Get out and wheel

:dunno:

I would hate to get to a point where I'd rather just stay home than go wheeling since it's "too easy."

Agreed.

Somethings may have been changed, but everyone should remember...not everyone who wants to wheel is on 35's and fully locked. If it does end up being 'totally paved' so to speak, then bummer we'll know better for next time. But I doubt the trails are completely dumbed down to keep it from being any fun at all. As John said, the weather alone will make things more of a challenge for everyone.

I am the Evans Creek Representative for Wheelers of WA and felt the need to chime in here and end some of the confusion. I went to the Forest Service meeting this month and we spoke about the map, width restriction and trail work done at Evans. Technically there is a 72" width restriction at Evans Creek. It has always been a rule there but has never been enforced. There is a new law that applies to the Mount Baker/Snoqualmie national forest lstating that you must have a map on you and be able to show that you are on a legal trail on that map. This map shows the 72" Evans Creek restriction. According to Bob Pacific, the head FS guy, they are not ticketing people who do not have that map. He also agrees with that the Evans Creek width restriction needs to be wider. They will most likely be raising the width restriction to 80". When asked about getting a ticket for being too wide he said "we have not written any tickets for being too wide at Evans and when we change our enforcement policy we will let you know". Basically a round about way of saying they will not be ticketing people for being too wide until they change the width rule. They also have been doing work on the trails at Evans. There was an Environmental Assessment done and that report determines what they do at Evans. Because of that they had to close off all user built trails and add many new culverts. Yes, they did make the 311, 198, and lower 520 easier but they are already getting harder as rain falls and rigs continue to drive the trails. Most of the other trails are still untouched. I will be there for this Oktoberfest event and anyone who wants to run the 197 with me can see that there are still fun trails at Evans.

I am the Evans Creek Representative for Wheelers of WA and felt the need to chime in here and end some of the confusion. I went to the Forest Service meeting this month and we spoke about the map, width restriction and trail work done at Evans. Technically there is a 72" width restriction at Evans Creek. It has always been a rule there but has never been enforced. There is a new law that applies to the Mount Baker/Snoqualmie national forest lstating that you must have a map on you and be able to show that you are on a legal trail on that map. This map shows the 72" Evans Creek restriction. According to Bob Pacific, the head FS guy, they are not ticketing people who do not have that map. He also agrees with that the Evans Creek width restriction needs to be wider. They will most likely be raising the width restriction to 80". When asked about getting a ticket for being too wide he said "we have not written any tickets for being too wide at Evans and when we change our enforcement policy we will let you know". Basically a round about way of saying they will not be ticketing people for being too wide until they change the width rule. They also have been doing work on the trails at Evans. There was an Environmental Assessment done and that report determines what they do at Evans. Because of that they had to close off all user built trails and add many new culverts. Yes, they did make the 311, 198, and lower 520 easier but they are already getting harder as rain falls and rigs continue to drive the trails. Most of the other trails are still untouched. I will be there for this Oktoberfest event and anyone who wants to run the 197 with me can see that there are still fun trails at Evans.
Thank you for that!:)

I will be there for this Oktoberfest event and anyone who wants to run the 197 with me can see that there are still fun trails at Evans.

In

I will be there for this Oktoberfest event and anyone who wants to run the 197 with me can see that there are still fun trails at Evans.

I will see you there sir!

Also, thank you for the input, very informative and helpful.

While I did make a couple sarcastic remarks about some trails being easier I FULLY understand why the changes are being made. I'd much rather have the work be done than have Evan's closed altogether.

Is there another work party scheduled for Evans Creek? I'd like to participate as I was out of town during the last one.

Lastly, can you speak to whether or not Evan's will be officially closed this winter, i.e. enforced?

I would like to be on the road by 11:00 on Friday. That should put us to the Campground around 2:30ish.

It's still early, so those plans may change. Either way though I plan on wheeling Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

my tenative plan was to head up Thursday night and Camp.

I still have a few more busy weekends to get through, but this run is creeping up on us.

For the PDX guys planning on heading up, lets plan on meeting up Friday morning at 10:30 at the Gee Creek Rest Area. It's just off I5 past the Clark County Fair Grounds north of Vancouver.

Need more info? Let me Google that for you. ;)

Lets plan to be on the road by 11:00. Traffic shouldn't be an issue (knock on wood), and I would expect us to be rolling into the campground by 2:30.

It's still early but it looks like we may have around 15 rigs in for this.

IMG_0020.jpg

Should be a fun trip, I'm looking forward to it.

wuts the official time for hitting the trail on saturday? if i have the day off i might run up and meet up with you guys

wuts the official time for hitting the trail on saturday? if i have the day off i might run up and meet up with you guys
after the pancakes are in my belly.

I just requested this off yesterday. Told melissa and she wasnt to happy about taking the jeep.

I'm out. I'll be somewhere in the Nevada desert playing racecar driver. :D

Did you get a jeep speed rig or are you racing the YJ?

Ive got Friday off so I will head out some time before noon. I'll probably setup camp while you guys are driving up from Oregon. If we end up bringing both jeeps We will try and block off spots so we can camp as a group.

Back