• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Prob

3 things, i just called my buddy who is a head mechanic at spartan

if you take the vac line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if the idle goes down. it could be the fuel pressure regulator

MAF sensor is the most common problem on these, he said replace that first.

the he said if it isnt charging right it will run like crap

did you do the crank 3 times to get the code thing? i dont feel like reading back, is the check engine light on?

no CEL light i wish there was then i would know what to replace, should i go for the maf where do i find one

Last edited:
did you do the turn the key thing to get whatever codes were in there?

i'd say do the maf first, if you dont want to spend the money on a new one, get one used at sams just to see if thats it

did you do the turn the key thing to get whatever codes were in there?

i'd say do the maf first, if you dont want to spend the money on a new one, get one used at sams just to see if thats it

ive always tried to do the turn key thing never works

on-off-on-off-on?

no wonder i couldnt find it 100.00 bucks. ouch thats and hour a mechanic could spend figuring out that its not the MAP.i think im just going to take it somewhere

AutoZone in stock for 68.99 if NAPA isn't available. Advance has a BWD MAP sensor for 93.99 in stock...local to me anyway.

but if it is the sensor, the mechanic is going to charge you labor AND $200 for the same sensor. besides, trail spares are always good ;)
I'd get a manual and check the voltage going to the sensors first, then test the sensors. It won't take that long and it's free since you already have the multimeter.

but if it is the sensor, the mechanic is going to charge you labor AND $200 for the same sensor. besides, trail spares are always good ;)
I'd get a manual and check the voltage going to the sensors first, then test the sensors. It won't take that long and it's free since you already have the multimeter.

all the shop is gonna do is plug in parts till they find whats wrong, mine as well eliminate the middle man...

ill do this tomorrow, ill see if i can borrow some sensors....

heres a current list as to where im at with this.

1. cat has been hollowed.
2. tune up done.
3. timing is correct.
4. compression test done, all between 125-150.
5. upstream 02 is new, factory.
6. no CEL light

buy a fuel pressure guage, cheap ones can be had. sounds like a fuel pressure issue(to high).
just my .02

glowing headers are a sign of running too lean. A large vacuum leak could cause this. the high rpm stumble is also consistent with this.

so my vote is running lean, from a large vacuum leak. Or a slipped timing chain.

ps. If that fuel pressure is staying low at high rpm, that could be causing a lean burn too.

glowing headers are a sign of running too lean. A large vacuum leak could cause this. the high rpm stumble is also consistent with this.

so my vote is running lean, from a large vacuum leak. Or a slipped timing chain.

ps. If that fuel pressure is staying low at high rpm, that could be causing a lean burn too.

it goes lower when i reved it up with the gauge on it, could i have a bad fuel pump? staving it from gas causing it to run lean and then sputtering out and getting gas when the exhaust vavle is open? it only does the back firing thing when im hard on the gas.... is the pump not keeping up? also wouldnt a vaccume leak show a CEL

im an idiot it cant get gas when the ehaust valve is open........................EDIT

Last edited:
Back