• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical issues?

I’m pretty sure I found my problem. Alternator tested good. Got to just looking around under the hood just putting an eye on everything and tracing some wires and found where some wires looked like they’d been chewed up and one was completely cut in 2. Traced the wires and they actually go directly from the under hood fuse box, to the alternator and field module. Going to work on getting those put back together and hope that is my problem!

I’m pretty sure I found my problem. Alternator tested good. Got to just looking around under the hood just putting an eye on everything and tracing some wires and found where some wires looked like they’d been chewed up and one was completely cut in 2. Traced the wires and they actually go directly from the under hood fuse box, to the alternator and field module. Going to work on getting those put back together and hope that is my problem!

That sounds like a smoking gun all right.

Solder and heat shrink are your friend. It is a good idea to cover the repair with one piece of heat shrink (long enough to cover the repair +3/8" on either side) and then place an even longer piece of heat shrink over that as a strain relief.

That was the issue the whole time! Thank you to everyone who offered up help and tips! I greatly appreciate it! I just threw on some butt connectors at the moment, but I’m going to fix it more permanently next week. Moral of this story is check every wire coming and going from whatever your issue SEEMS to be. If I get nothing else from this experience, I’m glad to reacquaint myself with my XJ since it’s been sitting under a tree for 2 years. Now it’s time to drive.

Congratulations.

Glad you got it nailed.

Back