• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Elaborate for me, please.

Chero-King

NAXJA Forum User
What exactly is a "Ricer" these days?
I mean, I know what it is, but where do you draw the line on whether it's a "Ricer", or just a modified vehicle.
I ask because, recently in a thread here, someone called a Toyota 4x4 on 31's a "Ricer". Now, I understand that it's Japanese manufactured vehicle, but does that automatically mean it becomes a "Ricer"? It's still a truck, and a 4x4 at that.
Also, what's with people calling modified, American manufactured vehicles, "Domestic Ricers"? We own a 1995 Dodge Stratus. It's been modified, and I'm sure if I posted a picture of it, there'd be people on here that would label it a Ricer. But why? Just because it has nice rims, and a spoiler? or is it just because it's got a 4cyl engine with a modified exhaust, does that make it a Ricer? It's not like it sounds like a weed wacker, it's got a deep throaty growl to it. Or is it just the fact that it's not a Mustang, or Camrao, so it should'nt be able to be lowered or modified.

End of rant.

Chero-King said:
where do you draw the line on whether it's a "Ricer", or just a modified vehicle.
I ask because, recently in a thread here, someone called a Toyota 4x4 on 31's a "Ricer". Now, I understand that it's Japanese manufactured vehicle, but does that automatically mean it becomes a "Ricer"? It's still a truck, and a 4x4 at that.

I'd probably refer to it as 'rice', but not a 'ricer'. More:

Also, what's with people calling modified, American manufactured vehicles, "Domestic Ricers"?

If it looks as though it's had anything that might've come from either a) a JAOS catalogue or b) an ad in Sport Compact Car / Import Tuner / Max Power magazine attached to it, it's a ricer - national origin notwithstanding.

We own a 1995 Dodge Stratus. It's been modified, and I'm sure if I posted a picture of it, there'd be people on here that would label it a Ricer. But why? Just because it has nice rims, and a spoiler?

Sure, why not?

or is it just because it's got a 4cyl engine with a modified exhaust, does that make it a Ricer? It's not like it sounds like a weed wacker, it's got a deep throaty growl to it.

I guess.

Or is it just the fact that it's not a Mustang, or Camrao, so it should'nt be able to be lowered or modified.

Ah, the mysteries of life.

And I do see riced-out Mustangs, Camaros, etc. around here too :D

Some people say when its an import its a rice rocket. I think rice is when the car is modified poorly, crappy mods that do nothing, body kit, wing... on a front wheel drive vehicle... You know what I'm talking about.

Anything on www.laughatrice.com is considered rice. Just being from japan doesn't make it rice.

"Ricer," to me, is any Japanese car (whether it has a Japanese nameplate or a domestic one - a lot of Mitsubishis are overe here wearing MOPAR nameplate, for instance - and Mazdas under the Ford marque...) with goofy mods - like a beach towel rack on the decklid, and a batch of "Type R" tags all over (don't forget the coffee can exhaust tip, and cut springs are usually a dead giveaway - making it bounce more than a clown car.)

I don't have anything against a well-done modification - but I don't see a lot that are "well-done." The only "Low rider" I've liked, for instance, was the van in "Cheech and Chong's Next Movie." There was a concept that guided it, not just "how low can you go?" I don't limbo - neither will my car.

"Rice-burner" is just a generic term for any vehicle of Japanese manufacture - regardless of intent. A "rice-burner" can be any Toyota, Honda, Lexus, Acura, or whatever - Hell, we may as well throw in Hyundai and Daewoo (both Korean) and Kia (Pacific Rim somewhere...)

I agree with a "ricer" or "riced-out" being a vehicle that looks like a failed extre for "The Fast and the Furious," or that drove by the Sport Compact Tuner adverts section after being coated with Gorilla glue - most of them are just plain stupid.

And, I also agree that it's possible to "rice out" anything - I once saw a late-model Mustang with an automatic transmission that had a Monster Tach with shift light installed. What the Hell?!? Why for does one need a shift light (a functional shift light - I saw it light!?!) with an AOD transmission?

Ricers are like low riders - they can be done well, but they're more commonly done badly. One of the most decent low riders I saw around here was actually done on a Yugo GV (huh?) - nicely done paint without being gaudy, rather understated "pulse" graphics, window tint sans bubbles, and a sound system whose main point seemed to be sounding decent, not registering on the seismograph at Fordham. Nice job - pity he didn't do it on something a little better. You can't polish a turd, you know...

A "concept" low rider can be cool, but a classic with drop spindles, drop airbags, and "scratch plates" is somewhere well to the left of stupid. Any vehicle lowered to the point where it can't handle kerbs and speed bumps is stupid (I once saw a "compact truck" that had been lowered - came into the apartment complex and ripped out the fuel tank on a speed bump. First time I'd seen a private individual have to fill out an EIS...)

Oh - isn't the Dodge Stratus really made by Mitsubishi? Some Dodges are - take the Neon, for instance. It's a Mitsu wearing Dodge brass, no more or less...

5-90

casm said:
I'd probably refer to it as 'rice', but not a 'ricer'. More:

If it looks as though it's had anything that might've come from either a) a JAOS catalogue or b) an ad in Sport Compact Car / Import Tuner / Max Power magazine attached to it, it's a ricer - national origin notwithstanding.

Sure, why not?

I guess.

Ah, the mysteries of life.

And I do see riced-out Mustangs, Camaros, etc. around here too :D

Perfect. Thanks for not apologizing. :D :D

5-90 said:
I don't have anything against a well-done modification - but I don't see a lot that are "well-done." The only "Low rider" I've liked, for instance, was the van in "Cheech and Chong's Next Movie." There was a concept that guided it, not just "how low can you go?" I don't limbo - neither will my car.

I liked the ice cream truck in "Nice Dreams" Gotta love a coil-spring mounted clown head.

woody said:
I liked the ice cream truck in "Nice Dreams" Gotta love a coil-spring mounted clown head.

Yeah - points for that one for being unique and different.

Too bad kids just don't have that sort of creativity anymore, y'know? I'm tired of seeing cars slammed to the deck, lower than my arches, and cut spring that bounce around for an hour after running over a dime...

5-90

Unless, of course, said car is of German descent and then it's clearly NOT labeled a ricer. Those are simply "kraut burners".

Honestly...I could care less what folks do to their cars. Some I admire...some I giggle at.

riverfever said:
Unless, of course, said car is of German descent and then it's clearly NOT labeled a ricer. Those are simply "kraut burners".

Honestly...I could care less what folks do to their cars. Some I admire...some I giggle at.

mmm... sauerkraut..... :)

It all comes down to the ethnicity of the vehicle driver my GPS-heated seats-loving professor friend. You don't have to be a racist to see that each ethnicity customizes its/their own modes of transportation. The Asian vehicles are "Ricers" or "Rice Burners as stated above...what mdl was refering to, usually a very poorly modified 80's Nissan Sentra or Chevy Astro Van -one of which should be labeled as a ricer but isnt in my book- and can be spotted a mile away thanks to its enormous virgin Mary decal is called a "Swapmeet Special"...Most of the ex-Soviet block, now contained to the mother Russian's and most Ukranians drive what you would be quick to label ricers...but they are not! They are the usual Honda or late model Lexus that crab worse than a dog walks. A few details give them away...poor -very poor modification skills -though not a Sentra or Astro van which would put them under the Swapmeet category- large coats of Bondo, different colored fenders or hoods, disproportionately sized spoilers and the oval shaped european nation of origin decal on the rear of vehicle. The next clump of vehicles is a bit lengthy in models and makes but as of late -and once again Cadillac the make of choice- Escalades, Cutlasses, and Caprice Classics are labeled as "Hoopties", sometimes "Hoopty's"...come to think of it there are no grammer boundries when it comes to their names, any spelling goes...one may even slip the letter z in at random. You've already mentioned "Kraut Burners" -but beware, if its speed and/or kinkiness you're looking for...these Bavarian beasts have it all...the trunks of some come equipped with leather and chains.

VanillaGorilla said:
It all comes down to the ethnicity of the vehicle driver my GPS-heated seats-loving professor friend. You don't have to be a racist to see that each ethnicity customizes its/their own modes of transportation.

Nice to see you clinging to the fact that I am unlike you in yet another thread.

So, according to you, only those of Asian descent can modify in a "ricer" style? :rolleyes: So no Caucasians, African Americans or any other ethnicity mods a car in a fashion deemed as ricer?

Dude...you could be the newest, perhaps the greatest, drama queen to grace the pages of NAXJA in quite some time. I will officially nominate you.

VanillaGorilla said:
It all comes down to the ethnicity of the vehicle driver my GPS-heated seats-loving professor friend. You don't have to be a racist to see that each ethnicity customizes its/their own modes of transportation. The Asian vehicles are "Ricers" or "Rice Burners as stated above...

So what you're saying is that my buddy with the KJ Renegade he's lifting (who happens to be a native Californian of Chinese descent from the Boss Tweed days, and thus documentably here longer than my family has been) should really be running around in a slammed Integra. Got it. What do I say to the white kids I see running around in the Civics with 15 spoilers on them now? 'Stop being a race traitor?'

You are a moron. Please do not breed.

Last edited:
riverfever said:
Dude...you could be the newest, perhaps the greatest, drama queen to grace the pages of NAXJA in quite some time. I will officially nominate you.

Wanna tag team him? Heated seats give superpowers, you know :D

casm said:
Wanna tag team him? Heated seats give superpowers, you know :D

I really haven't seen this level of drama out of someone on these boards in a while. It's quite dzolish.

The way he keeps riding my sack about liking GPS and various other creature comforts...I don't know whether to be alarmed or flattered for the crush.

Be afraid. Be very afraid...

I'll just "agree to disagree" with you on one point - your choice of hobby. I don't begrudge it to you - it's just when I go fishing, I can't even catch a cold. So, I don't bother anymore... (Which is a pity - I do enjoy seafood...)

As far as dragging with a manual valve body, a well-built dragger would have a ratchet shifter for that (he still had the OEM stirring stick,) and a properly-built and -designed dragger would have a TF727 (MOPAR,) Powerglide (GM) or C6 (Ford) - along with a batch of other mods. I could hear a turbo on him (it was a nice clear day - but I only run my windows up when there is precipitation anyhow) and he didn't look like he knew what he was doing on the freeway - much less tearing up the 440...

I'm inclined to think he was just being stupid - but I may not have all the data, so my opinion probably did have holes in it. However, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

5-90

riverfever said:
I really haven't seen this level of drama out of someone on these boards in a while. It's quite dzolish.

The way he keeps riding my sack about liking GPS and various other creature comforts...I don't know whether to be alarmed or flattered for the crush.

:wave1: In todays level of Ethnic thin-ice walking, by which I mean PC. I thought my last response might strike your fancy...anyone who enjoys GPS :roflmao: and heated seats :roflmao: automatically falls in that category. No need to be offended, though most of you plugged in are, about different ethnicities and their choice of transportation. afterall, Professor Trout....you asked the question.

Have you been getting into your fathers liquor cabinet?:clap:

P.S. Professor Trout has a lovely ring to it. Thank you.

VanillaGorilla said:

Much as in life, you fail as a troll.

Back