• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eble Hills update

wheelin4cheap

NAXJA Forum User
We hit the trail around noon yesterday and didn't see pavement again until around 9pm. Our group included two XJs, one CJ, one YJ, and one TJ Rubicon. We ran the mainline and the busywild trails. The tallest tires were 33's and the only ones locked up were the Rubicon and CJ.

The ground is pretty frozen up there right now so it wasn't nearly as muddy as usual. The conditions couldn't get much better. We didn't have any trouble other than one sidewall puncture and a little body damage. It was a great time.

If you are looking for a place to wheel this weekend, I would suggest Elbe.

Last edited:
And the weird thing is, is that earlier this morning I was going to post up to see if anyone has wheeled in the Elbe hills, and how good it is. I've never have wheeled there yet, maybe we can get a group together and take a trip or something.

XJjeepLess said:
And the weird thing is, is that earlier this morning I was going to post up to see if anyone has wheeled in the Elbe hills, and how good it is. I've never have wheeled there yet, maybe we can get a group together and take a trip or something.

How about tomorrow? I WANNA GO WHEELIN!

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
How about tomorrow? I WANNA GO WHEELIN!

-----Matt-----

There are 4 of us, 2 xjs and 2 yjs, that MIGHT be headed up to elbe tomorrow.

If anyone on here is going to be up there, please post it here. I might be more able to talk these guys into going outside to play if we know there are going to be more rigs out on the trail. It is always more fun with more people!

Find a day, I'll go, if a stock XJ can make it around, and I'll see if my buddy wants to bring his Mazda it thats cool. Just make a day. I personally would rather go when it is not raining, but thats just me. Anyone else?

XJjeepLess said:
Find a day, I'll go, if a stock XJ can make it around, and I'll see if my buddy wants to bring his Mazda it thats cool. Just make a day. I personally would rather go when it is not raining, but thats just me. Anyone else?

From what I understand, Elbe might be too much for a stocker. But I've never been there, so I'm going by some trail reports I've seen...looks kinda hairy. Evans is probably too much this time of year as well. Tahuya might be a better place for a stock-ish rig...it'd be fun to go there sometime. I know our newest NWC member 'fzabolla' lives out there...maybe he could show us around?

I'm going up to Tinkham Road off I-90 for sure tomorrow, which isn't real technical, but has some fun spots and some great views. A stock rig should be able to get almost everywhere, depending on the snow levels. Anybody intersted?

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
From what I understand, Elbe might be too much for a stocker........... Evans is probably too much this time of year as well............ Tahuya might be a better place for a stock-ish rig

I'm going up to Tinkham Road off I-90 for sure tomorrow.......A stock rig should be able to get almost everywhere, depending on the snow levels........... Anybody intersted?

-----Matt-----

Yes I was looking at PNWJEEP.COM last nite after my last post and found some info on the Elbe Hills. Ill skip out on that one for now.

Id like to do Evans in a few months when the lift goes on.

I have herd Tahuya is a good place, and wouldn't mind going there either.

Im interested in going, but would hate to drive out there to find out the snow level is too deep or something for a stocker. Anyone know what Tinkham RD is like now?

XJjeepLess said:
Yes I was looking at PNWJEEP.COM last nite after my last post and found some info on the Elbe Hills. Ill skip out on that one for now.

One of the guys in our group was in an XJ with only 3" lift, 31" tires, and open. He made it everywhere we went, and we were on the trail for 8 hours.

If you want to try Elbe in a stock XJ, just hit the "Mainline" trail. The trails are well marked now.

tahuya is fine for a stock xj. i've taken mine there a few times. matter of fact, met up with fzabolla last time we went. the weekend of the 25th we're all headin down there for the night. anyone is welcome to join. gonna be trying out my new lift if i can get it on in time. after the lift and i find some tires id be all about hittin up eble hills.

Who is fzabolla?

Anyway, Joe lives around Tahuya. He showed me around some time ago.

Later
Jason

I loved Elbe!

You would have to pay me GOOD money to take or go with a stocker......

Although it might be fun to watch.... in a sick way....

OK, not really. Only go to Elbe if you are prepared for damage. (And a great time!)

Heed Rich's advice! Elbe is not a place for stock rigs. If the ground isn't frozen you'll need at least one locker or a winch. Expect body damage! Trees don't move outta the way and it's very tight in places. Busywild almost demands rockrails for XJ's (I keep using the same dents on the same trees). With that said, it is my favorite place to go! I love it there. It's even better to go with people who have straight body panels and watch them inspect every new dent. Ask Rich.

Had a good day at Elbe today. Our small group became one large group after meeting up with a bunch of other guys. Couple pics from my phone...

elbe3-5-06.jpg

2elbe3-5-06.jpg

It was a weird sight to see this guy in the land rover up at ELBE. He had never been offroad before...did pretty well for bone stock. Lot's of body damage though!

3elbe3-5-06.jpg

PAPXJ said:
It was a weird sight to see this guy in the land rover up at ELBE. He had never been offroad before...did pretty well for bone stock. Lot's of body damage though!

3elbe3-5-06.jpg

Interesting overgrowth on that trail there...

partyncwby said:
Heed Rich's advice! Elbe is not a place for stock rigs. If the ground isn't frozen you'll need at least one locker or a winch. Expect body damage! Trees don't move outta the way and it's very tight in places. Busywild almost demands rockrails for XJ's (I keep using the same dents on the same trees). With that said, it is my favorite place to go! I love it there. It's even better to go with people who have straight body panels and watch them inspect every new dent. Ask Rich.

This was after my first Elbe run! Body panels WERE straight. Rockrails would have come in handy.

bodydamage.JPG

PAPXJ said:

3elbe3-5-06.jpg

ECKSJAY said:
Interesting overgrowth on that trail there...

Yeah he flew over about a 6ft drop off and that is were he ended up...oops!

Back