• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DW help needed ( yes i know about DW but cant get rid of it)

crawlnfool

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98xj that had rustys 4.5" under it and i bumped it up by adding 2"pucks to help level it out because i had some sagging in the front and now im having problems with death wobble. I have dealt with DW before and know what can cause it and what to look for but i still have it and cant get rid of it.

here is what has been done to try and fix it. Pretty much everything on the front end has been replaced. I got a new drag link with new tie rod end Both tie rod ends on the tie rod replaced. changed the bushing on the axle end of my adjustable track bar and the tie rod end at the frame also.

I have brand new tires and wheels with less that 750 miles. i just had an alignment done, All upper and lower control arm bushings have been replaced.

I put on a new steering shock I checked my ball joints my self and also had them inspected during alignment and they are fine and i still get DW when im above 50mph and hit a bump.

I dont know what else i can do to fix it? Everything was torqued to specs alignment specs for toe,caster,and camber came back great.

So im at a loss on whats causing it? i have checked and rechecked everything looking for something loose, i have laid under it while the wife moved the wheel looking for play in anything i replaced etc and yet i still have damn DW!

oh and i have also checked and had a shop also check the wheel bearings on both sides and they are in great shape also. So i have pretty much rebuilt the front end of this damn thing and still have DW so what should i look for and do now? Only thing i did find was my adjustable track bar is adjusted so the axle sit to the drivers side about 1/2 maybe 3/4" more than the other side but i just dont see this causing DW?

Ball joints?
Also -
you had an alignment done. Did caster get set properly, or just toe?
On my rig, I had to get a tire balancing a track bar & adjust my caster before it really acted right on the highway.

caster angle
trackbar (rustys are the worst)
make sure your draglink and trackbar angles are paralell or close anyways.

Back