• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving to Moab

Hagen comes over from Germany..........wait till you see the size of his snorkel..........
:eek:

Well, the "Live Free or Die" location suggests New Hampshire, so you'd probably have a shot at furthest land miles travelled - unless a Down-Easter jumped in.

My runs from Western NJ are about 2200 miles and some guys from Florida were just a touch more, so there is plenty of prior experience at long runs for this event. We've got others from CT and Long Island planning to head out this year as well.

Got the time? You'll have a blast.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Yeah I'm in central NH - mapquest says 2577 miles (or about 38
hours). What are the logistics of driving from Jersey - I assume
you don't do a complete drive through. I'd consider it if I can talk
the GF into it........

I've tried several different ways West over the years of camping and wheeling trips to the Rockies and Utah. Most guys from this direction either choose I80/76 or I70 to Denver. Lately I've been using the tried and true I80 run. (Less urban traffic than I70 it seems)

(And, I've also had some fun, and surprisingly quick, runs along US 36 West from Springfield, IL)

Everyone has their own "zone" on long rides, and I'm not expecting that my approach is best for everybody, but this has been my routine:

Leave NJ around 3AM on Day 1 - keep at it (only gas/food stops) for 18 hours or so, which usually puts me in Western IA/Omaha (or Western MO/KC) by nightfall. Check into a Super 8 and get a good night's sleep.

Leave around 6AM on Day 2 - can usually hit Denver by 3/4PM or so, where I generally stop (My daughter's family is in Highlands Ranch) and take a leisurely drive on Day 3 across the Rockies to hit Moab by afternoon of Day 3.

This year, I'll disappoint my daughter, since CHW and I figure we can just keep pounding our rigs west on Day 2, cross the Rockies, get to Grand Junction by nightfall, hit one more Super 8, and then take the always super scenic Utah Rt. 128 into Moab and Slickrock CG by mid-morning of Day 3. 2.25 days from NJ to Moab. And some light wheeling by the afternoon of Day 3!

We'll see - not getting any younger ya know! :)

Of course, you're about 5/6 hours further, so make sure you factor that in. Then again, if you have 2 drivers, this becomes a no-brainer. No need to drive 36 hours straight through, if you just pull up at the end of long days (18 hr) driving - you get rest and you still can be there in 3.

Hope you can make it - it's a hell of a destination!

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Back